We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

Hi ,

I and my family will be in Grindelwald in mid June for 2 days as part of out trip to switzerland in mid June.One of the two days we plan to visit Mt. Jungfrau. We are not interested in hiking /long walk and would pefer something which is easy commute wise.

Is June a good time to visit?

Need suggestions for what we can do /see on day 2.

Is Mount Jungfrau from Grindelwald a half day or a full day tour?

Please advise

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

You can do Schinige Platte, Wengen, Murren, Interlaken, the Ballenberg museum, a trip on lake Brienz or lake Thun, Meiringen, Trummelbach falls, Mannlichen, First, Pfinstegg, Grosse Scheidegg, Harder Kulm, Isenfluh, Stechelberg, Schilthorn to name but a few.

Mid June is fine, snow will be easy to find, high walking routes are still closed but this won't concern you.

i believe that Jungfrau is a full day tour but some will manage it in half a day. If you go early then you can go down to Kleine Scheidegg for a late lunch and a good look at the scenery, including the North face of the Eiger, try and find the windows you looked out of on the train trip.

have fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

Thank you .This info is helpful for planning. Out of these places which would you recommend would be a must see . As I have just a day in hand.

Please suggest.

Edited: 3:04 pm, January 14, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

I would say that most of these are must sees - but if I chose one myself it would be Ballenberg. The day goes like this.

Train from Grindelwald to Interlaken. Boat to Brienz, from here you can watch the Rothorn steam train in the station. Bus to Ballenberg and stay there for around 4 hours. This is brilliant, it has houses from around Switzerland complete with furniture, gardens, farm implements and animals. Bus back to Brienz, train to Interlaken. Collapse here with a beer or coffee and wander around a bit. Train back to Grindelwald.

This gives you so many different aspects of the area. You can change the boat trip to be the return rather than the way out if the timetables fit better.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

Mt.Jungfrau is a full day tour from Grindelwald. I have stayed in Grindelwald for 3 days in sep,2013. On first day

you can go to Grindelwald first for half day and rest of the day you can visit the Grindelwald village itself. second day you can go to jungfrau. You will take almost whole day for Jungfrau and it will be tiring also, but you will enjoy the trip. Buy the return ticket from the Grindelwald train station itself. If you have half-fare pass it will be cheaper. Message me if you need any particular details.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

I'm really surprised to see Jungfraujoch described as a full day from Grindelwald, I've done it as a day trip from Bern easily enough. There's not that much to see up there to be honest and if the weather isn't really clear you're wasting your time even going unless you want a view of lots of clouds! Its a very expensive way of saying you've been there and seeing snow in June. And of course if you're going there you'll need some warm clothes and decent shoes to wear.

Ballenberg is BEAUTIFUL and well worth a visit, had a lovely day wandering there and seeing all the traditional Swiss farms and some of the old farming methods. Schynige Platte is lovely too, but we had rubbish weather when we went there and didn't see it at its best (it chucked it down with rain - in July)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

If the weather is good the gondola lift to First has some of the best views in the area. The much shorter cable car to Phinstegg would allow you to do a short, fairly level walk to where you can look down on the glacier. Grindelwald itself is a pleasant place to stroll around.

Train takes 1hr 27mins to Junfraujoch from Grindelwald Grund. It is well worth returning via Wengen. If weather is good I would make a day of it by also going to Murren. In my younger days I once walked Grindelwad, Wengen, Murren and to the Schilthorn. It is quicker by train.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

You need a clear day to do Jungfrau, and even in June that's not guaranteed. If you don't get that good weather then forget the trip. It becomes a very expensive way to see nothing. It's not quite a full day, but if you can get up there early then take that late lunch at Kleine Scheidegg. Food is good and the view magnificent.

If the mountains are obscured by cloud then switch your activities to any of those listed by poster #1. The Lauterbrunnen Valley and Trummelbach falls are certainly worth a look.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
35 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

How much is t group price? I am coming with a group of 16 adults arrivng on 28Aug can I get a half fare card? Is there a group price? Where do I buy it? When? How?

Is a Half fare card worth if I need it for only a day on boat and bus and train at Interlakin?

Next day Mt Jungfrau

Third day to FIRST.

Do I need a half fare card? Will it give me a free ride fr Zurich to Interlakin?

Which pass or card will give me one way ticket fr Zurich to Interlaking?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
35 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

How's the weather to TOP of Europe during our stay in the Jungfrau Region from experience 28th Aug - 31st Aug?

If we buy a group ticket to enjoy group fare discounts how many days earlier must we buy? Can we buy it on 28th Aug on arrival?

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see at Grindelwald besides Mt.Jungfrau? Pls advise.

I would advise you to allow a full day, as the trip up the funicular railway into the Eis Palast (Ice Palace), and indeed the Railway Station itself, all inside the mountain, are one of the wonders of the engineering world. I was in Grindelwald in May 1981, staying at the Youth Hostel with a friend, and I have never forgotten the experience of going up and down this almost vertical railway line, which the Swiss so cleverly built, many years ago. One day I hope to return to Grindelwald, if only to check if my entry in the Guest Book is still there! I would like to add a post-script one of these days........................ I hope this is helpful to you in your holiday plans

Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald