We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

Hi, I am intending to do a hike from First to Bachalpsee Lake around 2pm to and fro, will I be able to make it to the last cable car ride at 5pm? Will the temperature be good to do a hike early september?

Thanks! :D

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

I want to do the same hike but I would rather if possible do it in the morning, I don't know how fast you walk. I have no intention of having to run half way back to catch the last gondola down. I believe the guide books say about 1 hour or slightly more. I just believe in taking chances

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

Thanks! I actually have only 2 days in Grindelwald and the first day i will only reach Grindelwald at noon - hence trying to squeeze in to check out Bachalpsee Lake on the 1st day ;) :)

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

It takes about an hour each way (45 minutes for a regular mountain hiker, an hour and a quarter if you are unfit or not used to walking uphill), plus however long you want to spend at the lake. Given that the best views are from the far end of the lake, you should maybe add half an hour to walk there and back... so about 2.5 to 3 hours altogether.

I would say it's feasible to get the last gondola, but you won't have an enormous amount of spare time for photography, admiring the view or dipping your toes in the lake to see how cold it is :-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

Neuch, thanks for the information, I had planned on a morning at least to do the walk, and then have a stop at the top of First before going back to Grindelwald.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
104 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

Hi saintmag, did you end up doing the hike in the afternoon/evening? Were you able to make it back? I have almost the exact same plan for this Sept, and I will not be able to start the hike until 3pm. The sbb.ch website indicates that the gondolas from First to Grindelwald run until 6:30pm.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

Provided you are in reasonable physical condition, it's an easy enough walk back down to Grindelwald if you miss the cable car. Probably about three hours from the Bachalpsee (this is just a guess), downhill all the way.

7. Re: Grindelwald - FIRST to Bachalpsee Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 08, 2015