We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary in Grindelwald

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary in Grindelwald

There are two of us, who are staying in Grindelwald for 3 nights in early July. We plan to arrive at Grindelwald at the first night from Zurich. The second day is to travel around the Jungfrau region, provided that the weather is fine. (Grindelwald > Kl. Scheidegg > Jungfraujoch > Kl. Scheidegg > Wengen > Lauterbrunnen > Interlaken > Grindelwald) Is this travelling order correct by trains? Would time be too limited to walk around all these cities (Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken) with just 1 day? We are buying Swiss Passes and I’m quite confused by its coverage. Which parts of the above journey needs tickets? Should the tickets be bought one night before travel? If so, where and when should we buy in Grindelwald? We wanna know this in order to figure out the suitable time of our train from Zurich to Grindelwald.

The third day is to visit Lake Bachalpsee by cable car to First. (Again is purchase of ticket required one night before?) We walk to Faulhorn then and have lunch in that hotel (expensive or not?), followed by going to Bussalp and getting post bus back to Grindelwald. Is this plan feasible and is hiking in this way suitable for those who are healthy but lack experience?

Sorry for sooooo many questions but I desperately want to eliminate my doubts and have a nice trip there. Hope to see your answers and your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Jungfrau Region
Jungfrau Region
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,459 Reviews
Wengen
Wengen
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bussalp
Bussalp
116 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary in Grindelwald

Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are smaller than, for example, Peng Chau, so you will have exhausted their delights in 30 minutes or so. Interlaken is a lot bigger but, in my opinion, not very interesting. Again in my opinion, Grindelwald and Murren are the most interesting places in the area but you really don't go to the Oberland for the villages. The mountains are what makes the area fascinating.

Yes, your order of travel works well but if you are fairly fit you should walk at least part of it. Wengen to Lauterbrunnen is not far and it is all down hill. Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is a less severe descent. You can just buy tickets at the train/cable cars stations on the day, which is very important as, if the cloud base is below where you are and the rain is hammering down, it is not a good idea to spend large amounts of money going to places with non existent views. We have been to the Oberland most summers since 1981 but have never been to the grotesquely expensive Jungfraujoch. It is entirely free to walk up to the Schilthorn, which is not enormously lower, although I wouldn't recommend it for a novice hiker.

In good weather First to the Faulhorn and Bussalp has wonderful views. It is quite a tough walk but should be no problem for someone who is healthy and fairly fit. When my son was eight we walked from Grindelwald to the Faulhorn and Schinegge Platte on a sweltering day when the rock was glowing with heat, much longer and harder than you are considering. If you don't walk much the main problem is likely to be with your feet. You need thick soled shoes or boots and you need to be used to wearing them. At least nip up and down the Peak a few times before you leave Hong Kong. Carry sticking plaster and use it as soon as you start to feel damage to the skin.

I have never understood the sytem of travel passes as I rarely do more than one short train ride in day and usually none but, in essence, the higher you go the less useful the pass.

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Wengen
Wengen
Interlaken
Interlaken
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Murren
Murren
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
368 Reviews
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,459 Reviews
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,783 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Faulhorn
Faulhorn
104 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Bussalp
Bussalp
116 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary in Grindelwald

Thank you very much!!! Your comment helps a lot^^

That means we don't have to buy any tickets a night before until riding on some trains not free with Swiss Pass right?

Edited: 11:23 am, June 18, 2013
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary in Grindelwald

No, there is absolutely no need to buy tickets until immediately before each trip.

4. Re: Itinerary in Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2014