We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick way from BGF to GGM

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Quick way from BGF to GGM

We'll be coming down from First and heading for the gondola to Mannlichen (then to Wengen). With the last gondola at 5 p,m., time might be tight.

(1) If we walk to Firstbahn and bus, SBB.CH tells us to get off at Grund and walk 12 min to GGM. Google Map suggests we could get off sooner, at the Glacier Hotel, and have a much shorter walk. Yes?

(2) Would it make sense - or even be possible - to take a cab directly from BGF to GGM?

We may well decide to take the train back to Wengen. It runs later and we wouldn't have to rush. Cheaper, too.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick way from BGF to GGM

It might be possible (taking a cab) but chances are you would spend more than the twelve minutes trying to find a cab. It might be easier to adjust your time up at First by a few minutes to ensure you arrive at the Mannlichen gondola station in time. The First gondola runs constantly, skilift style, so changing your departure time at the top isn't difficult. The same with the Mannlichen gondola.You may find that waiting around for busses or other transportation will take longe than just walking on down to the Mannlichen gondola station from the First lift station. It's not that far and it's all downhill.

Edited: 6:11 am, July 01, 2012
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick way from BGF to GGM

It looks like most busses go after Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald, Männlichenbahn which is the same as Grindelwald Grund GGM. I guess the sbb.ch site got "confused" by the two names. If there is a bus when you reach Grindelwald it's faster, otherwise just walk.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick way from BGF to GGM

Its a 5 minute walk from First Bahn station to the the Grindwald Bus "terminal" (parking lot). Its a 2 minute walk from the Bus "terminal" to the Grindelwald train station. You can take the train or bus to Mannlichenbahn. From the Grund train station its a 5 minute walk around the station and thru the lift parking lot to the lift. The Grindelwald bus drops in front of the lift parking lot.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick way from BGF to GGM

Thanks, Wesheltonj. Those are better times than Google suggests, and make it a possibility. The other issue, of course, is that the trains and buses don't run all that often. As someone else said, I will plan so that if there is a bus or train going soon, I'll be on it, but if not I'll be expecting to walk.

I'm leaning toward taking the train to Wengen anyway, if only because the last gondola is at 5 p.m. and we may not make it.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick way from BGF to GGM

I cannot comment of the walk time frorm Grindelwald to Grund. I was just there, and the area between Grindelweld and Grund is now a housing development and no longer an open field. But I would guess 15 minutes. It is all down hill.

I do not know how much time you have. But a nice trip is Mannlichenbahn to the top, walk to KS and train down to Wegen.

6. Re: Quick way from BGF to GGM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, July 09, 2013