We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

We will be staying in Grindelwald for two nights in mid June and would love to take a beautiful easy and not too long hike. We will have my 19 year old niece with us that has MS so it can't be too long or too strenuous. I read that the hike from First to Lake Bachalpsee is very lovely but no one has mentioned how long it was?? Since we will likely only get one hike in I would like it to be really special.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Harrisonburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Take a look at this link:

myswissalps.com/berneseoberland/…

It lists a lot of different hikes in the Bernese Oberland with duration and distance info. If I'm looking at the correct hike (First-Bachsee-First) it says the hike takes about 2.5 hours.

I don't know if the times are accurate or not. I leave for my trip on Thursday!

Mentioned in this post
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
727 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

First/Bachalsee is a bit long, and the first part is uphill over steps. I have 2 other suggestions: Take the cablecar to Mannlichen, and then walk the ridge hike to Kleine Scheidigg, and take the train down. It is almost totally flat. I did it with a 30# child on my back. I think it is a bit shorter than the First hike.

My second suggestion is take the train up to Kleine Scheidigg, and then the path down to Alpiglen. it is about an hour, well-marked, and all down hill. Not steep, and at Alpiglen you just wait for the train and flag it down(stops on request) I have done this multiple times, and also with toddlers, who made it most of the way themselves.

All three hikes are very scenic. I think the Mannlichen-Kleine Schedigg is the most dramatic.

Edited: 9:35 pm, May 22, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Alpiglen
Alpiglen
93 Reviews
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Go for Mannlichen - Kleine Schedigg. it is beautiful and easy.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Mannlichen to KS is lovely but very expensive by mountain train. You could get the land train to Lauterbrunnen from Grindalwald, walk across the road from the station to the Grutsalp lift, take the train from the top into Murren and then come back down in the Stechleberg cable car. So far you have not had to walk far and will have seen lovely views. You can stop in Murren for lunch or a drink. From the base of the Stechleberg cable car you can walk back to LB. The walk from there back to Lauterbrunnen is flat and beautiful. It's not up in the mountains but you will have had stunning views all day and it is still lovely walking along by the river amid all the flowers, cows, and waterfalls. The walk takes about an hour and a half but is easy to do. We did this yesterday as we didn't want to walk too far, it was perfect. The walk to Bachalpsee from the top of First takes about an hour, it is steep in places, and the lake is currently frozen so although it was a nice walk it wasn't that great at the end, and then it's an hour back again.

Depending on your budget, you could also go from Murren up to the Schilthorn all by cable and still do the walk back along the valley with ease. There are lots of places to sit and rest along this walk but once you leave Stechleberg there is nowhere to get a drink etc so if you do it makes sure you have some with you if it's hot. And if you really wanted to go mad, half way back is the Trummlebach Falls which you could nip into! There are waterfalls pouring all down the valley though so you may feel that's enough.

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Murren
Murren
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,784 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Wow! That was so helpful!! Did you buy the ragional pass? Trying to figure if that is the best route for all those trams or just buy the tickets.

Thanks for help!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
452 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Hi lwjj - I must put my vote for first-bachalpsee hike. It was one of the several easy hikes we took in BO couple of years back and this is probably the one which I still remember the most.

You could read more from trip report but if I remember right it took us about 2 hours one way with several photo stops then we spent about an hour resting at Bachalpsee and made it back in just more than an hour and 15 min. We are no experienced hikers and almost always took longer than guidance time so I think if you can manage 1.5hr-2 hr one way, this is the hike to go for.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

I agree the walk to Bachalpsee is lovely, but the lake is still mostly frozen so not as pretty as normal and the grass was brown which made it less stunning. Ive done it in the summer when it is all bue and green but at this time it wasnt so glorious. That may change by Mid June but it was only two days ago we were there and it was a nice walk but not maybe as the previous poster experienced.

We bought the half fare card as we were coming by train from Geneva which would have been 150 francs had we paid full fare. We got our moneys worth by doing a Schilthorn trip via Murren, and the First lift so for us it was worth it. The round trip to Murren via Grutsalp at Lauterbrunnen and coming back to Stecheberg was 104 francs full price which included a bus back to the station but we walked. The train journey to Lauterbrunnen from Grindalwald was 16 francs full fare. If Tou decide to do that walk, be sure to ask for the main line railway to Lauterbrunnen via Zweilutchinen as the mountain train via kleine Scheidegg was about 60 francs as it goes right over the top which is stunning but costly.

Edited: 2:03 pm, May 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,784 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
369 Reviews
leicester
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

Sorry, just realised the price I quoted of 104 francs included the trip up to Schilthorn. It will be now where near that to go just up to Murren!

Mentioned in this post
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,784 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
9. Re: Best Scenic easy Hike in the area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 am, June 21, 2013