We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage in Public Transport

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Luggage in Public Transport

Is it permissible to travel with your luggage in the Bus? Is there any limit to the size or weight or number of pieces? Is there a luggage rack or luggage bay in the bus?

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

Yes, you can take your luggage. Yes, there is a place for just luggage. Limit? Well...I'm sure they've seen luggage before because tourists always have luggage. I'm guessing as long as it's just not totally overboard (the kitchen sink) you can bring it on - if you can carry it.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

Thanks very much. This is exactly the information I needed. I would like to reduce my carbon foot print if possible but not at the cost of basic comforts. I wouldn't want to lug my luggage a couple of kilometres. :-)

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

Switzerland is extremely tourist friendly country and you not at all be required to compromise on your basic comforts.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

Which bus are actually talking about? A normal short distance bus won't have a "luggage bay", just an open area in the middle. It has some place for luggage but not dedicated space.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

@altamiro: To be specific, I would like to travel from Grindelwald Bahnhof to Grindelwald Steinacher. I guess I will have to take a commuter bus. Can I carry my luggage in that ? My luggage will consist of two suitcases, since two of us are travelling. I wouldn't like to inconvenience other passengers by plonking my luggage in the middle of the bus. I can take a taxi if it is available at the Bahnhof, but as I mentioned in my first post, I would like to reduce my carbon foot print, travelling by public transport.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

That's very much a tourist bus, not a commuter bus. Luggage won't be a problem, just put it down in the open space opposite the centre doors along with everyone else's suitacses, skis and backpacks :-)

Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

We visit Switzerland several times a year as a family, usually with 2 large suitcases, a rucksack each and there is no problem with any form of public transport. I would recommend getting on the middle doors with the luggage and one of your party goes to pay the driver or show passes if you have them.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

Thanks to all who responded. My doubts are cleared. Maybe my first post confused everyone. It pays to be specific. :-))

9. Re: Luggage in Public Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald