We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suggestions for family

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation suggestions for family

Hi all,

I'm taking my family to visit the Jungfrau region for three days in July 2012, as part of a two-week trip to Germany as well. I've been exploring the various websites for the region, as well as perusing the TA boards. Since it's served me so well in the past on other trips however, I would like to ask for recommendations based on my family, budget, and what we'd like to do while visiting.

We will be a group of five, three adults (one senior), a five-year-old child and a 17-year-old, and will most likely require two rooms. I would be interested in family-sized accommodation that could hold us all if any are recommended.

We'll arrive in a car, so will need a hotel with a car park. Ideally, I would like to keep our nightly expenses to $200US or under per room, if possible. I am interested in a place that offers breakfast as part of the rate, and possibly half-board as well (not exactly sure how this works, but I've been reading it's the way to go).

One day we will either take the train up to the Jungfraujoch or the tram to Schilthorn. On another day, we will simply enjoy the surroundings and possibly go for an afternoon and dinner in Berne. Really, we will only have two full days, and one half-day, so not sure if it will make sense to go to Berne, but it looks so lovely, for now, it's being considered.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, I appreciate every comment!

Kind regards,

GF

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau Region
Jungfrau Region
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Germany
Germany
Europe
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,465 Reviews
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,791 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Hotel Gletschergarten
Hotel Gletschergarten
#1 of 40 hotels in Grindelwald
Parkhotel Schoenegg
Parkhotel Schoenegg
#3 of 40 hotels in Grindelwald
Hotel Eiger Grindelwald
Hotel Eiger Grindelwald
#4 of 40 hotels in Grindelwald
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

The hotel Oberland has the best resturant in the village. They are midrange on cost but high on quality. There is also a shop next door called Flavours that is good for lunches, snacks, etc. And the Co-Op grocery near the train station.

Edited: 7:12 pm, January 14, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Oberland
Hotel Oberland
432 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

Excellent, thanks.

GF

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

HI,

i read your reply to someone else post. It looks like you know this region. We are planning a trip for a family of four for the first week of August and I guess we will fly into Zurich. Grindlewald, Jungfrau and Zermatt seem like places to go. Do you recommend these or others. We will have about 6 days. Kids are 8 and 9. Interested in getting in some great hikes that they can handle. Haven't been to the region in 2o years. I remember it was beautiful but I don't remember where we went other than Zermatt. Any help greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

Plenty to do in the Jungfrau area - Zermatt is quite a way off.

Also you can get a 6 day ticket for everything which is good value. Your kids could go up and down in the cable cars and gondolas all day long!

Walking is good - including easy!

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
533 Reviews
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

The original poster here is staying in Lauterbrunnen which is very nice. Other options a little higher up would be Wengen or Murren, the two carfree villages above the Lauterbrunnen valley. I like Wengen myself. Plenty of hiking of all levels throughout the area and August usually has good weather. One caution.....August is the busiest month of the whole summer so don't hesitate to make reservations for your stay. Things may fill up.

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Murren
Murren
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

I haven't gone yet, not until this summer. If you have specific questions and need help trip planning, a good bet would be to start your own thread, so you can track it, ask plenty of questions, and such.

The people on TA are tops. Just be sure to return and give everyone a recap of your trip and experiences.

Good luck,

GF

17. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, June 21, 2013