We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suggestions for family

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation suggestions for family

Hi all,

I'm taking my family to visit the Jungfrau region for three days in July 2012, as part of a two-week trip to Germany as well. I've been exploring the various websites for the region, as well as perusing the TA boards. Since it's served me so well in the past on other trips however, I would like to ask for recommendations based on my family, budget, and what we'd like to do while visiting.

We will be a group of five, three adults (one senior), a five-year-old child and a 17-year-old, and will most likely require two rooms. I would be interested in family-sized accommodation that could hold us all if any are recommended.

We'll arrive in a car, so will need a hotel with a car park. Ideally, I would like to keep our nightly expenses to $200US or under per room, if possible. I am interested in a place that offers breakfast as part of the rate, and possibly half-board as well (not exactly sure how this works, but I've been reading it's the way to go).

One day we will either take the train up to the Jungfraujoch or the tram to Schilthorn. On another day, we will simply enjoy the surroundings and possibly go for an afternoon and dinner in Berne. Really, we will only have two full days, and one half-day, so not sure if it will make sense to go to Berne, but it looks so lovely, for now, it's being considered.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, I appreciate every comment!

Kind regards,

GF

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

I might suggest staying in Lauterbrunnen instead of Grindelwald. A lot quieter and a very pretty valley. I know the Hotel Oberland has a family type room that sleeps three quite comfortably and combined with an ajoining room it would meet your needs quite well. And should be able to fit in your budget too.

If your main objective is to see the Alps I think I would skip the trip to Bern unless you get a bad weather day in the mountains. You could spend one day on the Wengen/Jungfraujoch side of the valley, one day on the Murren/Schilthorn side of the valley, and your half day exploring the valley itself. Even if you don't go all the way up to the Jungfrau or Schilthorn the villages and scenery in the area is great to see.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

Thanks for your insights. Lauterbrunnen looks stunning, but isn't it car-free? Also, good point about Bern. I do think we'll skip it and only go if we have foul weather. If it's nice we're going to stay and enjoy the Alps!

GF

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

Lauterbrunnen can be reached by car. The two villages above it, Wengen and Murren are the car-free villages and must be reached by train or cablecar. One of the nice things about Lauterbrunnen is that it's right below these two areas and they are each only a few minutes away.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

The more I research, the more I'm digging on Lauterbrunnen! Thanks, neighbor.

GF

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

We really love the place. We have been going there since 1984. In fact you may run into us next July. We will be there for the first two weeks.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

My niece might be going to the University of Miami's summer program for high schoolers next year. We're just waiting for them to announce the 2012 dates before we shore up our plans. Right now it looks like it'll be the last week in July and first week of August. Can't wait, it looks amazing!

GF

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

If you are there on Aug 1st it's Swiss national day (like our 4th of July). They always have lots of celebrations, parades, fireworks etc. Lots of fun.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

It is a fantastic area for walking and taking in the views. Wengen and Murren are lovely places to visit. Agree about 1st August - the fireworks are fun.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

For various reasons, we decided on the Hotel Gletschergarten in Grindelwald. It looks fantastic and the proprietors have been very pleasant and helpful with planning for our group.

We'll be in the area for a few days so we'll be sure to visit Lauterbrunnen and take in the falls. Will post back after the trip. Thanks for all the suggestions.

GF

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation suggestions for family

And upon further review, i.e., reading up on Lauterbrunnen, we decided to stay here!

The valley looks stunning and we actually got a better deal at a hotel there with a view of the waterfall. It was a significant saving that couldn't be overlooked. Furthermore, we had used booking.com for the hotel in Grindelwald and when I found a better rate for the room we booked, they failed to hold up to their best price guarantee match. That didn't sit well with me.

Can't wait for our visit. Thanks all for suggesting Lauterbrunnen. Does anybody have any restaurant suggestions in the village? I realize the area is expensive, and the Jungfrau trip is going to tax our wallet, so any tips for mid-range eateries would be very helpful. :)

GF