We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pfingstegg any info will be helpful

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luton, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Pfingstegg any info will be helpful

We are staying in Grindelwald for a week shortly.

One of the hikes that we are really looking forward to is from Pfingstegg to the Baregg restaurant. It looks so picturesque.

I know I am going to go mad with my camera !!!

Any info on top of what neuch & mountaintoppe have commented in Pfingstegg 'anyone try' would be really helpful.

What' the hike like, where is the best place to view the Glacier from, is it worth the extra 15 min walk to the alpine hut, is this a full days hike or would it be to much to hike to the Baregg back to Pfingstegg and onto the other side to the upper Glacier.

Do I sound a bit too excited?

Too right we are. We explored the other side of the valley in 07 when we stayed in Wengen. One of the best hols ever.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pfingstegg any info will be helpful

I can't remember exactly what I said in the post that you refer to, and the search function doesn't want to find it again for me, so I will comment again.

Pfingstegg up to the restaurant at Bäregg: allow two hours, quite a bit of uphill but all on an easy path. There is a big drop on the right but the path is wide enough to drive a tractor up, so no problem there :-)

Beyond Bäregg, the path that eventually goes to the Schreckhorn Hut is marked blue-white, so is officially a difficult Alpine route. However, you can continue for about an hour or so without any difficulty at all privided you have a reasonable head for heights. The path is narrow in places (less than a metre wide) with a steep drop to the right, but it's a good path. You will finally come to a point where the path gives way to a cliff face with ladders... this is as far as I went.

I think it is definitely worth doing this extra bit beyond Bäregg, as the glacier has receded a lot and you will miss a lot of it if you only go as far as Bäregg. To do the whole thing would be a 5 hour hike with 860 metres of height gain/loss.

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pfingstegg any info will be helpful

Neuch,

Many thanks for that Info.

It is always best to speak to people that have actually done these hikes.

Many thanks again

3. Re: Pfingstegg any info will be helpful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald