We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IS Grindelwald a good location?

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Linn, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
IS Grindelwald a good location?

Our family of 5 is coming to Interlaken area for 3 nights in late June. I want to try to see the area around Lucerne, Interlaken, Gimmelwald and Mt Palitis.

Lucerne is cost prohibitive and Interlaken seemed to be booked up for the days we are there. How about Grindelwald as a base?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Kim

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

>I want to try to see the area around Lucerne, Interlaken, Gimmelwald and Mt Palitis.

I hope that with "Mt Palitis" you mean Pilatus... no, Grindelwald is not a good base to see sights around Lucerne. Neither is Interlaken.

OTOH there is a huge lot of much more beautiful and spectacular places to visit close to Grindelwald.

What is the particular attraction of Gimmelwald? It is a tiny village like hundreds or thousands of others strewn through the Alps, with no particular attractions except having an intermediate cable car station on the way to Muerren. It is not even a good base for hiking.

West Linn, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

Really? Darn!

I am having trouble finding places to stay that arent like $600 a night for the family! Cant swing that!

We arrive in the area the afternoon of June 18th. We will have all day 19th and 20th in Interlaken areas then get up early on 21st and head to Lucerne, spend the day. End up in Zurich that evening to fly out the morning of the 22nd.

What about Lauterbrunnen? Is that more central? Sorry about spelling on Pilatus...knew it was wrong but it was late! Heard that was definitely worth seeing. You agree?

Unfortunately the pocketbook determines some things. Would rather spend it on sightseeing than accomodations. Definitely open to suggestions if you have time...

Kim

Why is Grindelwald not good?

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

Altamiro is correct that Grindelwald is not a good base to see Luzern and surrounding areas, but as explained later in your 2nd post you do not plan to come back to Grindelwald after visiting Luzern and instead carry on to Zurich to catch your flight, In this case Grindelwald may work for you.

However, do note that Grindelwald to Pilatus would be around 4 hr journey and from Pilatus to Zurich Airport around 2 hr 15 mins.

To explore Jungfrau region both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are better options than staying in Interlaken. Also in the Jungfrau region there are many better places to visit than Gimmelwald. Visit the link below for more information:

http://www.myjungfrau.ch/en/welcome.cfm?

Level Contributor
383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

You are arriving in low/shoulder season so the only explanation for Interlaken being "full" when your searching is either because of hotels being closed or the 3 nights rather than 7 night old chestnut of a problem. Several people on the forum recommend the hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen www.hoteloberland.ch which has single/double/4 bedded rooms which could help you out at reasonable rates.

UK
Level Contributor
422 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

Have you tried looking at apartments rather than hotels? They tend to work out cheaper, especially for a family - plus, by having kitchen facilities, you have the opportunity to save lots of money on meals.

Winter Park...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

I too, am planning a visit to Grimmelwald, yet in May. Already places were booked in Interlaken as well - unless I wanted to pay through the roof. Try Naturfreundehaus. I believe they have a kitchen you can use. www.naturfreundhaeuser.ch

Still tossing up Grindelwald and Murren per say. I also know there is a "sleep in the hay" place, that is 20 swiss francs for one adult and cheaper for kids. Pretty cool, since there are farm animals and they provide you with a farm breakfast.

http://www.abenteuer-stroh.ch/en/default.asp

7. Re: IS Grindelwald a good location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 30, 2012