We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald walks

Western Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Grindelwald walks

Travelling to Switzerland in Sept.

We would like to do the Faulhornweg Walk from Schynige Platte to First (6 hrs) and the Kleine Scheidegg Walk (7 hrs) from Grindelwald to Lautebrunnen over 2 days. Would we be best to travel from Interlaken to start day 1 and overnight in Grindelwald, before walking on day 2. Then travel back to Interlaken at the end of Day 2? Is it all feasible taking travelling times and timetables into account? Any other ideas of things to do in and around Interlaken? How long should we spend there?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Grindelwald walks

The area you are dealing with is fairly small so your base location isn't overly important. Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen would work fine. The only thing I would stress is to get as early a start on day one as you can.Get on the earliest train up to Schynigge Platte as you can. Most folks don't make the hike in 6 hrs. especially with all the photo breaks etc. and if you get to First after the gondola stops operating then it's several more hours of walking down to Grindelwald.

On the second day you should get an early start too but it's not as important because the train that parallels this route operates later.

If you are fit hikers you should be able to do these great hikes fairly easily. They are not extremely difficult, just long. But the scenery you will see along the way is great.

Dubai
Level Contributor
598 posts
2. Re: Grindelwald walks

Instead of basing yourself in interlaken and staying one overnight at Grindelwald, I would suggest you base yourself in Grindelwald to avoid wasting time in check in and check out. Both on day 1 and day 2 of your planned hike you can come back to Grindelwald.

There are many more things to do and places to visit in this region. Check the website www.myjungfrau.ch for more details.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Grindelwald walks

Personally, I would do the Schynige Platte to First hike one day and use public transport to explore the second day. The train to Schynige Platte is a cute little cog train going up inclines that bring to mind "the little engine that could". Plus the hike (I wouldn't call it a walk) is beautiful and there are two places to grab something to eat in route.

I haven't done the other hike but I'm guessing it parallels the train up and down so I would explore the area by train and cable car. That would give you a chance to explore the Lauterburren valley and take the cable car to Murren.

And just want to point out that Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterburren, by my math, is a 4,000 foot descent (after a 3,000 foot ascent). Bring trekking poles, could be hard on the knees -- but that's just my opinion, a 51 year old guy who bikes 150 miles per week.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Grindelwald walks

I would walk to Faulhorn, not the other way round. I have done it a few times.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Grindelwald walks

The second day you have several options especially from Kleine Scheidegg down to Lauterbrunnen. You can take the easy walk that parallels the railroad for most of the way into Wengen or take one of two trails that get you a little more off the beaten path. One goes from KS to Biglenalp, Stalden and over a wooded trail into Wengen where you catch the main trail down to Lauterbrunnen. Another goes from KS to Biglenalp, Stalden then down over the Trummelbach area bypassing Wengen altogether ending you up on the valley floor near the Trummelbach Falls. It's then about a 45 min. walk into Lauterbrunnen.

Getting from Grindelwald up to Kleine Scheidegg you also have several choices but there is very little difference in the trails in fact you can see the trails from each other as you walk up.

Edited: 1:55 pm, January 10, 2011
6. Re: Grindelwald walks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, July 10, 2011