We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Two more questions regarding my trip. I will be in the Bernese Oberland for 6 full days at the end of August. I plan on hiking in the area for 4 of the days and would like to take day trips for the other 2. (I'll be staying in Wengen.)

First question: I will already have a JungFrauBahn Pass through my hotel and also plan on getting a Swiss Saver pass -- there will be two of us -- to get to/from Zurich Airport and Wengen. And then I'll have the pass for 2 days of traveling. Does this make the most sense?

Second question: We are very happy riding the Swiss trains anywhere and everywhere. Can anyone recommend some great day trips from Wengen? Again, we'll happily sit 3+ hours one-way on a train to see something beautiful!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

I might suggest Lucern as a nice change from the Mountains around Wengen. The "Old town" area on the water is great and the train ride there and back is very nice.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

I'm not sure you would get value from a Swiss Saver Pass as being a consecutive pass you would have to buy one for 8 days. With the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass you could buy a 4 day pass at less cost. This would cover your journey to and from Zurich Airport to Wengen and give 2 free days on main line transport below Wengen. It also operates as a half fare card between the first and last days of validity. This might save you money above Wengen if you decided to use this and forego the Jungfraubahn Pass through your hotel just going for normal B&B or Half-board rates. With the Jungfraubahn Pass you will still have to pay extra to go to Jungfraujoch and it does not cover the Schilthorn which is another popular destination.

The only way to be certain which passes will be best is to do the maths. You can get details of passes at:- www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/

Timetable and fares for the Jungfrau area are at:- jungfrau.ch/en/…

A day trip to Bern is a good option particulalr if the weather is not too good in the mountains. A cruise on either Lake Thun or Lake Brienz on one of the paddle steamers is also recommended. Both of these would be covered by the Flexi Pass.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Another vote for Lucerne! ... a great contrast to your hikes,but as the city sits on a lovely lake surrounded by moutains,you are still going to have a stunning backdrop. Search "My Switzerland" for info. about the many places of interest in this beautiful little city.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Hi SwissTravelFan,

I'd like to suggest that you not overlook some things that are a little closer to home -- see Thun and Spiez, and cruise Lake Thun! There are two castles on Lake Thun that you may want to see, and walking along the lake for an hour or two is really relaxing (and gorgeous).

Or you may want to see Brienz and cruise Lake Brienz. I've heard it's more spectacular than Lake Thun. If you did this, you could also see the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum on the lake.

Have fun!

s

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Also check the link below:

myswissalps.com/berneseoberland/…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Thanks so much for your advice. I actually spent a few days last summer in Brienz -- which is why I am going back to the BO. The hiking is amazing! Is it worth my while visiting Zermatt?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

Hadn't considered the Flexi Pass -- I'll look into it. Thanks so much.

8. Re: Day trips from Bernese Oberland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, July 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald