We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungfraujoch Day Trip

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,368 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Jungfraujoch Day Trip

1. Swiss Half Fare Card (1-Month for Visitors)

There is a strong possibility that I will end up renting a car for most of my trip throughout the country, thus make the Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass relatively expensive. If I spend the night at Grindelwald (via car), then what's the most cost effective ticket to make a day trip to get to Jungfraujoch? It seems that the Swiss Half Fare Monthly Card for Visitors (99F) is a good choice as long as I use it for a couple other rides when I don't have a car? My total for the trip would then be 99F + 81F (return), just 20F more which I can easily make up with a couple other trips?

Does the card offer any discounts on museums? I thought I saw that mentioned on another post but I can't find any wording officially.

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/artinfo/283.html

2. Also, during my trip, it will be my wife's birthday as well. Does the "Happy Birthday Travelpass" allow her unlimited travel throughout Switzerland. Can she get to Jungfraujoch using this fare (weather permitting of course)?

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…happy-birthday-tageskarte.htm

3. Also, from some other posts, it seems that one can realistically see Jungfrajoch, Murren and Wengen all in the same day? Is that realistic overall?

Thanks.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

Hi Sammyfloyd,

I feel that taking the train is the best mode of travel in Switzerland and a car would be necessary only if you intend visiting some place not having train access. Further,the excellent Swiss Rail System has an extensive network and schedule frequency. Nothing can beat the scenic views as seen from a train window.Of course,it is your trip and choice of car for travel.

You will have to take in the costs of all individual train journeys you want to make in Switzerland and then check whether individual tickets or HFC or Swiss Pass is the best option.HFC becomes economical only when total ticket costs exceed CHF199.

I doubt whether HFC gives any discounts at museums. Here is the link showing features of the HFC -

www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard.asp…

As regards the Birthday Travelpass,it would be advisable to check the available concessions at any train station there.

Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch is a 1.5 hour train ride,add another 2 or 3 hours on top . You could get down via Wengen,stroll around this village and then return to G. However,Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald via Wengen will be a 2.5 hour journey. So I doubt whether Muerren can be covered in the same trip.

Have fun.

arvind

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

the Half fare card gives half fare on trains, lake steamers and busses - both post busses and city busses. Does not help you with entrance to museums.

Don't rent a car. Expensive. Driving in CH is complicated and petrol is very expensive (around CHF 1.70/litre right now). Parking is expensive as well, when you can find a place to park. Finally our road laws are strictly enforced and fines are heavy and apply to those driving rented cars as well as their own cars. In fact, fines are often calculated on the basis of your personal income - ie the more you earn the more you pay!! All in all, take the trains/busses and lake steamers. You will be glad you did!!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

The half fare card will get you into the Museum at Ballenberg. It was a suprise to me but we had our half fare pass in our hands when we went to the ticket booth and they let us in for free.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

Wish I had known that when we went... we paid full tarrif and (rather obviously) have a half fare card for 3 years!!- Next time I go I will ask...

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

According to their website you only get in free with a Swiss Museum Pass which is part of a Swiss Pass

The Swiss Museum Pass entitles one adult (Adult Pass) or one adult accompanied by a maximum of 5 children up to 16 years of age (Adult- Plus-Pass) to free admission.

I think you were lucky!

Gibel

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

You can not travel to Jungfraujoch using "Happy Birthday Travel Pass". From Grindelwald you can visit Jungfraujoch, Wengen & Murren in one day but then you'll not be able to spend enough time at each of these locations. It will also depend on what time of the year you are planning your trip as days are longer in summers and much shorter during winter.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

I think Swisslover is right - the Birthday travel pass is a bit like the half fare card's day pass on the trains. And the Jungfraubahn is not part of the national system, in that it is a private railway with its own rules... take a good look at their site - or if necessary, ring them.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,368 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

Thanks for all the helpful information. The choices are simply mind boggling.

My issue with renting a car (or not) is we usually like to be flexible when we travel. We have gone around vast areas of France, Spain and Japan with no hotel bookings and just pretty much stop as we please with a car. I feel that using the train system, this could become much more challenging due to luggage and hotel bookings.

From what I know, the luggage problem could at least be partly solved by lockers at the station (are they available at every station, including large lockers?) and sending luggage to another station to be picked up the next day. I can't think of a way to get around the hotel issue though.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

Hi Sammyfloyd,

Trains run really frequently and go practically everywhere, so you can be quite spontaneous travelling by train, too. If you want to go off exploring and getting lost, I've found that going on a walk or a bike ride gets me waaay off the beaten path and into the locals' locations, lol!

For hotels, most towns and even some villages have a tourist information office at the train station, or sometimes just a few steps away. When you come into a new town, just give them your budget/location preferences, and they'll make all the arrangements for you. Then, they'll give you good directions and instructions for getting to the place.

Yes, there are luggage lockers of all sizes at most stations, certainly at all medium- to large-sized stations. Gruyeres is one that doesn't have lockers, but that's the only one I can think of without them.

One advantage to ditching the rental car is that you can stay overnight at one of the car-free villages and not fret about wasting money on the rental and on parking fees. And really the car-free villages are another world -- serene, beautiful, pristine . . . it's heaven.

Anyway, have fun as you plan!

s

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jungfraujoch Day Trip

I think the thing with the half fare card was a mistake. Only the Swiss Museum Pass and the Swiss Pass (which is also a museum pass) offer free entrance - see http://ballenberg.ch/en/Info/Prices -.

By the way: Ballenberg closes October 31st, 2010 at 5 pm and will reopen April 15, 2011. The museum is closed during the winter months.

pore