We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

Hi,

I am trying to pick one of these two hikes for our late afternoon hike this August. Will really appreciate inputs on which of the two is more scenic and whether any of them is meant for more experienced hikers (coz we are not one).

Thanks in advance.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

Both are not too difficult the difference being mostly length. If you go all the way back to the glacier and back it will take near three hours total. Not much elevation change but at the end of a day three hours may be more than you want.

The hike to the hotel Wetterhorn is more downhill and will take about an hour and fifteen min. from Pfingstegg.

Both are nice and about the same level of difficulty.

Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

Hi mountaintopper,

Thanks again you always help me with your insights everytime I have a query.

On the glacier gorge hike, I understand we don't really need to come back as we can take a post bus back.

In terms of scenery do you have a preference for either one ?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

You may be confusing the glacier at Phingstegg with some other one. If you take the cablecar up to Phingstegg and walk back to the glacier the only way back out is to walk.

Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

Hi again,

Well you right about lower glacier or the hike to Baregg which is 1.5 hr one way and return the same way but I was referring to another hike which is Pfingstegg - Marble Quarry - Glacier gorge.

Here's the link to the hike:

grindelwald.travel/en.cfm/HikeGT/offer.cfm…

Anyways, I researched some more on the net and realized that this may not be the best hike around so will probably give it a miss.

Will either just stroll around Grindelwald or may take the cable car to & fro to Pfingstegg.

Edited: 3:46 pm, May 24, 2010
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

Easy walks and also very popular ones are :

First to Grosse Scheidegg, about 1 to 11/2h and from there you may take the bus back to Grindelwald.

First to Bachalpsee, one of the most scenic places. Two hours walk either by walking back to First or down to Waldspitz, from there then the bus.

Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, very easy 11/2h walk and then train back to Grindelwald.

Up to Bussalp then by foot to Bort and from there down by cable, very easy and very beautiful also.

No need to stay down in the village.

Even if you do not walk at all, just take a cable or a train up and enjoy the wonderful view.

6. Re: Pfingstegg - Gletscherschlucht OR Pfingstegg - Wetterhorn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 18, 2010