We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

Hello

I may be jumping the gun a little because I don't officially have leave time yet, but, once thoughts are in motion I can't sit still!

I'm planning to take my parents to Italy in late May and am hoping to make the last 4 days of the trip in Switzerland. Most likely Grindelwald, and then a flight home from Zurich.

We would be coming from Venice and to minimize hassle we would take the train (3 people). Would driving the route be perhaps better? (IE places to stop along the way....). I've driven in the Alps before - my only concern might be closed passes in late May.

I think that having a car during the brief sojourn in Grindelwald would be a good idea. Not sure if Grindelwald is big enough to have a car rental counter at the train station or if another stop along the way would be better. Is a car even necessary for a 3-4 night stop there?

Thank you.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

Get rid of the car. You certainly don't need a car in Venice and the best way to travel in Switzerland is with the fantastic train system. The train from Venice to Grindelwald will transfer through Milan, but it's easy enough. It's a rather long journey, but Switzerland is definitely worth it. Now, concerning Grindelwald, is there a particular reason for Grindelwald? Grindelwald is where the tour buses drop loads and loads of tourists. There's nothing bad about Grindelwald, but a much more peaceful and picturesque destination is one valley over in Lauterbrunnen. Lauterbrunnen is surrounded by the car-free alpine villages of Gimmelwald and Mürren on one side and Wengen on the other. Absolutely stunning...and minus the tour buses and crowds of tourists.

The train from Milan will cross the Swiss border and eventually deposit you after a change or two at Interlaken Ost. From Interlaken Ost (not Est) you will board a small train to Lauterbrunnen, half of this train splits off and heads to Grindelwald, the other half continues on to Lauterbrunnen.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

I agree. Lauterbrunnen, Murren or Wengen would be my choice too. And the train is the way to go.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

Thank you!

This is great advice. If we don't need a car, so much the better. My Dad has a bum knee which is why I was thinking it wasn't a bad idea - less walking for him. He's doing OK but I didn't want to push it especially after Venice (all walking) and before that Lake Como (more walking).

I had planned a trip in 2008 which included Grindelwald (Hotel Gletschergarten?) and I think it was because it was near a train that went up the Jungfrau. Perhaps I am getting my information mixed up, it was 2 yrs ago. We didn't make it in 2008 so I am resurrecting that idea now.

Murren/Gimmelwald sound great too. I'll continue to research and may have more questions.

By the way, this morning I got my approval for the time off!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

all trains connect/intersect somewhere. Staying next to the train in Grindelwald may mean a shorter train trip to the top, but staying next to the train in Lauterbrunnen or Mürren will get you to the Jungfrau as well. The train travels from Mürren, Grutschalp, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfrau.

Alternately from Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfrau...so you see you can get there from any of these places.

5. Re: Venice to Grindelwald via train/car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, September 15, 2010