We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Can someone explain getting to and from Grindelwald from Interlaken for a winter ski trip? As I understand, these tickets are not included in your lift ticket prices.

Am I correct to understand the following?

1. That these tickets are sold separately from the regular rail tickets, and the only discounts offered on these are if I have a Swiss Card?

2. That you can travel back and forth without charge only if you have a Swiss Pass?

3. A Swiss transfer ticket would take me from the airport to Grindelwald without extra charge, but I would have to pay for each trip up and down the mountain until I left?

Thanks.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

I assume you are talking about the ski pass for the Grindelwald/Jungfrau area. Yes, they are sold separately - see

jungfrauwinter.ch/pages/…PRE_index.htm

for the area the ski pass covers. You can buy a ticket Zürich to Interlaken (normal ticket or the transfer thing) and a ski pass, and travel from Interlaken on to Grindelwald with the ski pass.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,089 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Hi Mapwalker,

I'm somewhat confused by your question.

1. By "these tickets," do you mean tickets between Grindelwald & Interlaken? If so, then, no, they are not sold separately from the regular rail tickets, and there are many discounts for this route. The rail line is run by a private company (as opposed to the government), but its fares and schedules are all integrated into one system. So when you buy your ticket to Grindelwald, you'll get ONE ticket. The route is included in all the SBB Travel System discounts and passes.

If by "these tickets" you mean skipasses, then, yes, they are sold separately.

2. As altamiro states, the route between Grindelwald and Interlaken is also covered by the skipass, so you can travel back and forth freely as long as your skipass is valid. when I skied the area, I sometimes went down to Interlaken to see the lakes, and I would just flash the conductor my skipass.

3. You would have to pay for each trip up and down the mountain -- unless you have a skipass.

Hope this helps.

s

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Thanks! I needed to know that the ski pass covered travel from Interlaken to Grindelwald. That helps me figure out the Rail Europe options which are a bit confusing to me when you're trying to travel to a destination that is serviced by private railroads.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,089 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Hi Again,

Well, yes, Rail Europe can be confusing AND misleading. That site doesn't list all the trains that are available --

I strongly suggest you go to the Swiss Rail website (SBB) at www.rail.ch to get regular schedules and fares (to get information on passes, click on "Travel," then at the far right click on "Intl Guests") or to www.swisstravelsystem.com.

Rail Europe jacks prices... and then you have to pay a big delivery fee.

Have fun!

s

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Unless you are planning to ski on the day that you arrive it would probably be cheaper to buy Swiss transfer ticket Zurich to Grindelwald, then buy ski pass to begin the following day.

porto alegre, brazil
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Hi, everyone.

I'm going to interlaken in february, with the eurail pass. I didn't understand if the train from Interlaken to Grindelwald is included in the train pass. If not, does anyone know how much we must pay (go-return)?

Thank you.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains between Grindelwald & Interlaken

Are you sure the eurail pass pays off?

Anyway as far as I know the Eurail pass is only restricted to the state railways in Europe, in Switzerland it is about 60% of the network - the rest is private and mostly doesn't accept an eurail pass (but a Swiss Pass). How much it will cost from Interlaken to Grindelwald - I don't know exactly, they are still rebuilding the line from the floods. You will have to take the replacement bus. My guess will be something between 8 and 15 SFr one way.