We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

My brother and I are going skiing this January in Jungfrau and was wondering which is the better ski base - Grindelwald or Wengen. It's also been suggested to me that Lauterbrunnen is a good place because you can more easily reach the Murren-Schilthorn slopes that way.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

Hi Mapwalker,

I've ski'd the area three times, so I'll give you my impressions --

Grindelwald is a perfect base for intermediates because its cable-car deposits you at the perfect, easy, delectible runs around the station called "First." If you're an intermediate, you should consider staying in Grindelwald.

I ski'd Wengen before the new cable car was put in, but I thought it was a long-ish walk to the cable car. Don't know if that's still true. I didn't fall in love with the runs that you can get to from Wengen, but I think the views are better.

You don't mention Muerren, but I thought I'd throw it in as it's probably the best base if you're an advanced skier -- it has the best access to the Schilhorn and those slopes (nicknamed "Suicide Pistes"). Muerren also has better views than Grindelwald, I think.

Lauterbrunnen is still a bit down in the valley -- you'll have great options for your skiing day, but it'll cost you an extra 10-15 minutes to get to the slopes, and an extra connection (train plus cable car, etc).

You should know that there's an internationally famous ski-race out of Wengen (the Lauberhorn) in mid-January and a nice snow-sculpture-contest in Grindelwald at the same time; hotels may already be booked out. Try to go the first or the fourth week.

Good luck!

s

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

I've stayed in Wengen many times and Grindlewald a couple of times. Both are good places and the same slopes are available to both. It's easier to ski First from Grindelwald and Murren from Wengen, but everything is possible from both. You can ski back at the end of the day to Wengen, you need a train for the final half mile to Grindelwald. I've never stayed in Lauterbrunnen, but that's because it's difficult to book from the UK.

I think you should be guided by what's available and choose a hotel that suits you. If you want a really detailed discussion go to www.snowheads.com, pick the resorts forum and choose the Jungfrau region thread, I think there's over 1000 posts on skiing there, although very much a Wengen bias I suspect.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

Just a slight correction on skitandoori's post -- I know I've skied into Grindelwald a few times from the First/Bort skiing area. You do finish a bit outside of town, and it's a bit of a hike to the Firstbahn. But it's certainly possible --

s

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

Skitandoori

Why do you find it difficult to book Lauterbrunnen? The world is a very small place with the internet.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

I Agree. Call Mark Nolan at the Hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen. He and Ursula will gladly take care of you. The Oberland is one of the best bargains over there and Lauterbrunnen is just minutes from either the Murren/Schilthorn area or the Wengen/Mannlichen/Kleine Sheidegg area or even all the way over to Grindelwald/First.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ski base - Grindelwald, Wengen or L?

Lauterbrunnen to Wengen will take 20 mins by train and you'll only be in Wengen.

Lauterbrunnen to Mürren will take at least 30 mins.

Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald could take more than an hour.

Staying in Lauterbrunnen will add quite a bit of triptime to any skiresort + you will have the daytripers to to hassle about with.

Also no skiing down from any of the resorts to Lauterbrunnen, so it's back on bus and train.

Seeing Lauterbrunnen is situated in quite an enclosed valley, Sun will be rare during the winter season.

Take my word Grindelwald would be your best choice in January. Skibuses to all stations included in the skipass.

Grindelwald is a nicer place to stay + access to First, Männlichen, Scheidegg and Wengen.