We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

chico
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

We will be in Switzerland in July and we are wondering if we should stay in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. There are 6 adults in our 40's with a toddler and infant. We will be renting a house. We won't have a car.

We aren't into the all the shops and fancy accomodations but want to be sure Lauterbrunnen has enough for everyone to do, is walkable to public transport, restaurants & groceries, hiking trails, etc. We don't need the nightlife. Any thoughts? Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

Hi lizchico,

One thing you have to be prepared for in July are the tour busses -- they line the streets and parking lots, and the disgorged passengers tend to clog up the sidewalks and congregate at the shops. Because Grindelwald is as high as they can go . . . that's where they go. This is a problem for both Interlaken and Grindelwald, unfortunately. I was in Grindelwald one time in August, and I swore I would never do it again.

The problem (for me anyway) with Lauterbrunnen is the cliffs that overhand the village. Some people see this as charming and atmospheric, but it only looked dark and depressing to me. You ought to find some photos online (google images for instace) to see if it would bother you.

I would really suggest you think about the beautiful car-free village of Wengen. That August I was in Grindelwald, I went to Wengen for lunch and was surprised at how peaceful and quiet it was! I've skied Wengen a few times but never realized the great difference between the villages in the summertime. You can investigate the towns at

www.myjungfrau.ch

Have fun as you research!

s

chico
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

How easy is it getting to Wengen? How long does it take to get from lauterbrunnen to Wengen? Is it a train? How often does it run?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

Hi again,

It's very easy, yes you get there by train. You can get all the schedules information at

www.rail.ch

Let us know what else you need!

s

chico
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

Thank you for your help. And thank you for your offer to help. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on your offer. Liz

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

We live for this, lol! Or at least I do. Next best thing to being there -- is writing about it.

s

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

Lauterbrunnen is a lovely village that in summer is bright and airy with lots of waterfalls. The village itself is situated at the entrance to the valley where it is wide and open. The cliffs in the area don't overhang Lauterbrunnen any more than the Mannlichen overhangs Wengen. Most all of the hotels face east toward the Wengen side of the valley and you can sit on you balcony and watch the little train make it's way up the mountain to Wengen. It has much less traffic than Grindelwald and is more of a quaint village. Great transportation center since you won't have a car.

The ride up to Wengen takes 13 minutes from Lauterbrunnen. It's also a really great village in summer. Good views, nice walking, and a quaint mountain village feel.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,686 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

depending on how old the infant is, going to Wengen might not be a good idea as altitude disturbs some small babies. Wengen isn't very high (1200m) but if you live at sea level that is a lot for a baby and I would want to ask a pediatrician before doing it.

I happen to like Lauterbrunnen - and you will certainly find all you need there. But a better place in the summer with two little ones would be on the lake of Thun - Spiez or Thun itself. Not Interlaken which is dull...

8. Re: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen with infant and toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald