We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grindelwald hiking trails

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
grindelwald hiking trails

i am going to grindelwald in August 2010 for 10 days, and have booked a jungfruabahn pass. i want to do some planning of walks before we go. my partner and i intend to walk for about 5-8 hours a day. we are ok with walking up. ie we have done scafell pike & snowdon. are there any books which have routes that include using the trains and cable cars or is there an internet site with routes on. any helpful suggestions on planning the holiday would be great.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grindelwald hiking trails

There are lots of books and websites on walking in the Bernese Oberland it is just a matter of doing your own research. On these forums many have written reports of their tripa and walks done. Walking routes are well marked and signposted.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grindelwald hiking trails

www.walkingswitzerland.com

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grindelwald hiking trails

There's a good book published by Cicerone on the Bernese Oberland. We have used this when we visited Grindelwald.:

amazon.co.uk/Bernese-Alps-Walking-Cicerone-M…

NB the author seemed a little optimistic to us on some of the timings!

There is also a useful map that you can buy from the Grindelwald tourist office when you get there. It covers all the many walking trails in the area and is much clearer than the official maps.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grindelwald hiking trails

Some suggestions (in no particular order).....Most take advantage of the transport system either at the beginning or the end.

Grindelwald/First via the Faulhorn to Schynige Platte. Pleasant hike medium difficulty but fairly long 7-8 hrs with transportation on both ends. Great views.

Trummelbach Falls up to Wengen. Some steep sections but mostly gently inclined. Great views of the valley below and the Jungrfrau above.

Stechelberg to Obersteinberg and Oberhornsee and back. Nice hike 4-5 hrs. Remote mountain hostel at the midpoint. You get to see much scenery you can't see from anywhere else in the area.

Grindelwald/ Gross Scheideg to Rosenlaui. Fairly easy hike but pretty scenery. Return route takes you through Meiringen and the oportunity for a lake steamer ride on the way back.

Murren to Schilthorn and back. Fairly steep in places but worth the effort. 4 1/2 hrs up, about 3+ hrs coming down. Piz Gloria revolving resturant on top. Great scenery both from the top and along the way.

There are lots more in the area but these are some of my favorites.

5. Re: grindelwald hiking trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, May 27, 2010