We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

North Carolina
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe from April 15 - May 1st, 2010. She gets to plan a week and I get to plan a week. For me I want to spend a few days in the Alps area. The logistics of getting to and from are not a problem for me other then the expense. The problem is it seems a lot of hotels and attractions are closed during this time. Specifically I tried the hotel Zum Baren and Schonegg Hotel in Wengen both closed for a month +. Looking on Expedia and other travel sites a lot of hotels show no availability and I think this is because they are closed. Also the Schilthorn lift seems to be having maintenance the last week in April, 2010. I did find a few hotels in Grindelwald that would be open and would be suitable for our stay. My question is will it be hard for us to find things to do and places to eat during these times? Will everything else be closed too such as the jungfraujoch - Top of Europe? (Wife wants to visits the ice palace). Or would it be better for us to spend an extra $200 dollars and 40,000 AA miles to change our trip to early June 2010?

Thank You

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Hi, the ski season usually shuts down by mid-April at the lower resorts and so, therefore, do the hotels, etc. for their break. You might think about a higher resort such as Zermatt because their season runs later (Zermatt is year-round and the hotels don't all shut at the same time) or think about traveling to the Alps first and going a couple of weeks earlier rather than spending all those miles to go later. Most of Europe is getting very pleasant by the middle of April so wherever your wife wants to go should be pleasant after a week in the Alps!

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Hi MajorJJ,

I don't think you'll need to make vast changes to your plan (changing dates or destinations). You can do all you'd like with just a few minor changes.

First, take a look at the website for the whole valley at

www.myjungfrau.ch

You can search for all available hotels in the valley and may still find something in Wengen.

You'll have no problem finding thigs to do. You can always get to the Jungfraujoch; I've never known that transport to close. And if you cannot ascend the Schilthorn, you can get as far as Mürren and take some Alpine walks, or walk in the area around Grindelwald and Wengen (there are always some walking trails kept cleared of snow). Or you can spend time around Lakes Thun and Brienz and walk around the lakes. You can visit the castle at Thun or even take a day-trip to the city of Bern.

You'll always find some restaurants open -- hey, the residents also eat out!!

Have fun!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

It's a tough call. We're often brave enough to visit Switzerland out of season, but I wouldn't choose Wengen or Grindelwald in late April. If you want to visit an ice palace and would like a more *in season* base in mid to late April, how about staying in Lucerne and visiting Mt Titlis above Engelberg from there? It should be spring in Lucerne, the Rigi area on Lake Lucerne is generally mild, but of course Titlis is a glacier, for the snowy experience. (www.luzern.org; www.rigi.ch; www.lakelucerne.ch; www.titlis.ch)

Alternatively, if you could move your trip to late June, the flowers in the Bernese Oberland will be fabulous and Wengen will be awake - it's much nicer than Grindelwald in my view. Where are you going for your other week by the way?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,686 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Speaking as someone who lives all year round in Switzerland I strongly advise you to spend the $200 and change your dates to June! To me there is nothing more dismal than a ski resort out of season where there is no snow (only mud!) and not yet any flowers and all the "buzz" associated with the ski crowds has gone.

Were you to come in June (and as late in June as possible) you would find the resorts open for summer, flowers in the window baxes (any time after 10th June or so) and generally in a summer mood. This makes the Jungfraujoch trip even more appealing since you will go from summer into winter in the space of an hour! Lots of fun!!! And then (even more fun!) back down into summer again. Also the lake boats will be operating on their summer schedules and your choices will be endless.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Great. Thank you all for the advice. It seems June would maybe be the better option. We are flying in and out of London, my wife wants to spend a few days in London, a few days in Paris, a day at Disneyland Paris. I was planning on taking a direct train to Bern or Lausanne from Paris for an overnight before taking trains to Wengen or Grindelwald.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Hi again,

Then let me add some info.

If you go in late June, be warned that Grindelwald may well be overrun with tour busses. Because that's as high as they can get to, that is where they all go -- you'll be fighting with the offloaded hordes on the streets of town. So it you go in late June (the closer to July/August, the worse it gets), stay in Wengen.

Have fun!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,686 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

I agree - definitely stay in Wengen. Butnot because of the tour busses - because by so doing you will experience a lovely mountain village with no cars. Very charming! And something not found every day.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Glad you have decided to go in June! A much better choice! There will be so many things to see and places to visit! Best research, using this site, before you decide what your priorities are. We usually have a wet day option at the ready, as a second option, as mountain weather can be unpredictable.But if the weather is good....well.... we have been visiting this area annually for nearly 20 years and we still have not run out of new things to do!

The transport itself is part of the enjoyment!If you stay in Wengen ,the little cog train that gets you there is a delight to start with!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

Another point that might be helpful.

You mentioned "places to eat"

We have always found that half board is the best hotel option when in Switzerland.

Would others confirm for Majorjj that I am correct,please.Thank you.

miami
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen for April 2010

I am soooo dissapointed but glad I came across this forum....my husband and I will be in Switzerland mid-April for a medical conference in Geneva so we cannot change our plans. We wanted to take a side trip and go to Wengen....unfortunately I called 5 hotels and they will all be closed! Then after reading this forum I take it that I should avoid the Bernese Oberland during this time of the year. I already purchased a Swiss Pass for 8 days (the conference is only 3 days)....where do you recommend that I go in Switzerland for our remaining trip instead?? We will go to the Bernese Oberland next summer instead. BTW, will be flying into Zurich...spending 2 days in zurich and then heading over to our conference in Geneva. Thank you!!

Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald