We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to grindelwald

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving to grindelwald

hi

driving around bernese oberland early november,will i need snow tyres , as it is an option with car rental.i will be mainly driving around grindelwald and murren areas.

many thanks andy

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to grindelwald

Early November? Poor time to visit. It is right between summer and winter seasons, most activities will not be open. For just "driving around" it might be ok. However, I doubt you'll drive around the Mürren area - the village is car free.

Nobody can say for sure if you'll need snow tyres. The weather is not predictable that long in advance. The chances are probably 50/50, especially considering that it is recommended to have snow tyres (actually, they're called "winter tyres" for a good reason) if temps drop below +5 C.

Why bothering with a car at all? I recommend public transportation. Trains and buses are easy to use and you don't have to worry about the weather.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to grindelwald

You won't be driving around the Murren area as it is a car free village! The snows came early to Switzerland last year in mid November I believe it is a lagal requirement to have winter tyres or chains fixed during snoy weather.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,614 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to grindelwald

as I understand it, it is a legal requirement to have snow tires on your car in the mountains from the middle or end of October. I have never checked this out because I know I need them from around 15 October!! so they are on my car. I have a 4 wheel drive (not a tank, just a Bora!) and so I do not have chains.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to grindelwald

No, it is not a legal requirement to have snow tyres. For some mountain roads chains can be obligatory (special sign). However, if you have an accident you can be held liable if your car doesn't have snow tyres and the road conditions are winter-like. That can be very expensive.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,614 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to grindelwald

Then why do the Valais police stop cars as they come off autoroutes in mid October and check the tires, and then if you haven't changed them, tell you to do so?? Next time I am stopped I shall ask.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to grindelwald

Yes, please ask them.

http://www.winterreifenpflicht.de/?Schweiz

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,614 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to grindelwald

Let's see what the TCS says. Anyway, even if it is not required, it is strongly recommended...and I have seen tourists really stuck in snow in November!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to grindelwald

If you rent a car in Switzerland from mid October, you will find all cars equipped with winter tyres. At that time of year specifically ask for a winter tyred car and they will rent with no extra cost.

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to grindelwald

thanks for reply

we are staying in grindelwald for 4 days, mainly sightseeing and relaxing.want to visit jungfraujoch.last time was 25 years ago .we have to wait to see what the weather is.are the cable cars still open in november.

many thanks andy

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to grindelwald

You may find the cableways closed during November as they tend to have thier annual maintainence before the winter season gets under way. However the railways operate all year around including that to the Jungfraujoch.

Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald