We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Weather Alternative - Next Week

US
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Bad Weather Alternative - Next Week

Hi,

I know it's probably a bit too early to panic. But the weather for our time in Grindelwald next week looks dreadful. Rain/Clouds every day...it's still a 7 day forecast so hopefully they are wrong. But i'd like to have some bad weather options.

We'll be there Monday June 29th through Wednesday July 1st.

We'd like to stick to more outdoors type activities. We'll have a rail pass every day so we can travel anywhere without any additional cost.

Anywhere with good hiking/views that we could do a day trip to that might have dramatically different weather than Grindelwald?

I saw someone mention Locarno in another post but I think that might be a bit for a day trip for us.

Any other good alternatives to keep in mind?

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Locarno
Locarno
Lake Maggiore, Switzerland
miami, fl
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Weather Alternative - Next Week

I have been in Grindelwald with great weather and with rain. THe rain is typically pretty light. Pretty easy to have light rain gear (light jacket and some water proof hiking pants) and still get some hiking done.

One side of the valley could have rain while another side be dry. Lucern is a 90 minute train ride. Bern is about the same distance away. Decent alternatives. Lucerne has some mountains near.

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Weather Alternative - Next Week

Weatherforecast for Switzeraland are hard to do. In the last time I stopped to trust the 3 and 4 day forcasts, they were too far awy from the real weather. Also every mountain vally can have different weather for example if there is the foehn wind.

In case it's really bad weather in your area:

Truemmelbach Falls and the Beatus cave

Aare gorge

The Ballenberg Openair museum (not for heavy rain, but fine when mix weather and no view)

Longer day trips

Spa for example in Leukerbad, Brigerbad

Papillorama

Sometimes weather in other areas fo the country is better typical is the Ticino, but that trip is pretty long. Other areas that have sometimes better weather: Valais (Zermatt, Sion, Verbier,etc), Stresa (Domodossola to Stresa not included in the Swiss Pass), western Switzerland: lake Geneva, lake district (Murten, Neuchatel, Biel), the Jura mountains (Chasseral, Weissenstein, La Chaux de Fonds)

Mentioned in this post
Aare Gorge
Aare Gorge
466 Reviews
Meiringen, Switzerland
Leukerbad
Leukerbad
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Canton of Ticino
Canton of Ticino
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Canton of Valais
Canton of Valais
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Sion
Sion
Verbier
Verbier
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Domodossola
Domodossola
184 Reviews
Domodossola, Italy
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
6,445 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Neuchatel
Neuchatel
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Jura
Jura
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
US
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Weather Alternative - Next Week

thanks for the info...you are right. The weather forecast today is looking better than yesterday so who knows when next week comes.

Good to have some alternatives handy though...thanks!

4. Re: Bad Weather Alternative - Next Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 21, 2009