We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swiss pass for 10 days?

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
swiss pass for 10 days?

Hi,

I will arrive in Switzerland next week for a 10 day bussiness and backpacking trip. I have a question concerning the Swiss Pass. Should I buy a 15 days Pass? Or is there a possibility to buy an 8 days pass and "2 complementary days"?

Thanks

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swiss pass for 10 days?

There is a good explanation of the passes and what they cover, together with the price (in US dollars) on this webpage:

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/ausswitz.htm

Unless you are going to be taking trains every day, you might do best with a "Flexpass" for 3 or 4 days of travel. Use those for your first and last day of travel, and one or two more---the longest journeys. All other trips are covered at 50%.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swiss pass for 10 days?

I have a question. For day trips to Gruyeres from montreux are those considered train trips? I have recently switched from driving to taking the trains and was trying to figure out if the all swiss pass is better or if i should do the saver flex pass as we hope to stay a couple of days to 3 days in montreux, somewhere near chateau d'oex, interlaken, lucerne and neuchatel. Also, do I buy them here or in switzerland? Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately all the forums make me want to do so much more then 11 days will allow.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swiss pass for 10 days?

for Phuduc,

I'm so happy to hear of your decision!!

Yes, if you are on the train on a day, it is considered a train trip for the pass.

To make sure you have the right pass (if any), someone just needs to do the math. You can get most fares at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

and fares for the mountain railways at

www.jungfraubahn.ch

Then compare the sum to the various passes. I will add that I always find the Half Fare Card (99 chf for half fare on all trains, ferries, and cable cars for one month) to be the best deal for my own travels.

You can buy all passes (except the Transfer Card) in Switzerland. In fact, there are usually a few tourists at the ticket desk going over their itineraries with the staff and getting the staff's excellent advice for what to buy.

Have you found the Swiss Pass site yet? If not, it's at

www.swisstravelsystem.com

Yah! Welcome to the club, lol. My travel wish list keeps getting longer, not shorter!!

Have fun!

s

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swiss pass for 10 days?

s, thanks for the reply. The websites were a bit confusing. I think I will wait til I get to switzerland before I buy my pass. looking at the price difference between flexi saver pass and the more extensive swiss pass is not much and I might be underfiguring how much I will use the transport and just have more then necessary. Do I need to make my train reservations now or can we make them as we choose? I could see my itinerary completely falling apart and falling in love w a place and relaxing in 2-3 places rather then the 5 bases I had planned.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swiss pass for 10 days?

phuduc, no problem at all making reservations as you go. You may not need any reservations at all, remember!

s

6. Re: swiss pass for 10 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:48 am, December 08, 2009