We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best discount ticket for a family holiday?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Best discount ticket for a family holiday?

We're travelling (by car) to Grindelwald for 2 weeks in August.

Has anyone got good advice on which ticket to buy and what the overall cost might be ?? (and how to save money!)

There is a confusing range of discount tickets available:

- Bernese Oberland Regional Pass

- Swiss Pass

- Swiss Flexi-pass

- Swiss Half-fare card

We are 2 adults and 2 children <16yrs.

We would like to visit

- Jungfraujoch

- First (chair lift)

- Schilthorn

- Brienz-Rothorn

- the lake steamers

- possible take the Golden Pass railway to Luzern

- Bern (the old town)

- Thun (castle)

We might need to visit Bern, Thun and Luzern by car to cut our costs down.

And, there's a summer luge near Wilderswil I think.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best discount ticket for a family holiday?

I think the Bernese Oberland regional pass would be the best bet. It would include the lake steamers on both lakes, as well as (I think) Thun and a part of train journney to Luzern - up to hergiswil, 20 min to Luzern. All the mountain lifts and cablecars are not free with the regional pass, but you get a discount. You also get 50% discount from Thun to Bern. Parking can be an expensive fun there...

The validity of the Regional Pass is here:

regiopass-berneroberland.ch/images/karte_gro…

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best discount ticket for a family holiday?

Info, including cost, in English for the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass is at:

regiopass-berneroberland.ch/engl/ticket.html

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best discount ticket for a family holiday?

If you buy a Swiss Pass for the adults then you will get a FREE Swiss Family Card which will let your children <16 travel with you for free...

If you buy a different pass, like the Bernese Regional Pass, then you will have to purchase 1 junior card for each child < 16. They are really very cheap...~20CHF each. They will allow the children to ride with you for free on the Berner Regional Pass, other passes, or even on just point to point tickets.

If you buy the Swiss Pass it is the same price regardless of where you buy it so don't waste your attempting to find it cheaper here or there. We bought ours at www.gemut.com because they offer free shipping.

You can save some money by buying some food supplies at COOP grocery stores. Also MIGROS has a cafeteria that offers good and cheap food. A lot of department stores have cafeterias on the top floor with affordable food also. Since you will have a car you should also stop along the autobahn at the Auto Grilles...excellent food at excellent prices. As you can see, I think a lot of your money will be devoted to food in Switzerland. Grocery Store prices are normal, but when you go to a restaurant you will pay dearly.

Personally, I would not spend 2 weeks in Grindelwald. Yes, it's a lovely little town, but slightly removed from all the other towns in and around Lauterbrunnen. In Lauterbrunnen the mountain villages of Murren, Gimmelwald and Wengen are right there with you. With 2 weeks you could spend a few days in Grindelwald, and then move over to Lauterbrunnen or Murren for a few more days. Grindelwald is more built up and touristy than any of the other towns.

One other note, don't forget that the Golden Pass also goes from Interlaken to Montreaux which is a beautiful day trip. Interlaken is also easily accessible from Lauterbrunnen by a 20-25 minute train ride.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best discount ticket for a family holiday?

I agree with "tnyatt" about moving after a few days from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen, for its accessability to other mountain trips. Last month I stayed at the Hotel Silberhorn in Lauterbrunnen and was quite pleased. I spent US$ 108 per night, single room, with breakfast and dinner.

I used the Swiss half-fare card. Went by train from Zuerich airport to Lauterbrunnen, stayed there 6 nights and travelled to the Schilthorn, Jungfau , Maennlichen, Thun and by boat back from Spiez to Interlaken, where I picked up my rental car for my trip continuation to Lindau and beyond.

Including 1st class train fare from Zuerich to Lauterbrunnen, I spent about $US 550on transportation. It's a bit hard to compare costs, but I believe I saved some money. While the Berner Oberland pass gives you some "free"days, several of the more popular rides (top of Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch above Kleine Scheidegg) still wil, cost you hald fare.

Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald