We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald or Wengen in August

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald or Wengen in August

I had planned to stay 2 nights in Grindelwald at Hotel Kirchbühl the first week in August.

We are staying 3 nights in Lucerne before we go to Grindelwald.

I'd like a true taste of charming Switzerland. I saw on this forum that Grindelwald is loaded with tour busses. Should we stay in Wengen instead?

My husband and I would like to hike- "easy hiking"- we're in our 60s.

We have never been to Switzerland. What kind of clothing should we bring?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Austin, TX

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen in August

Hi AustinGrandma,

Yes, what you read is correct. I made the mistake of staying in Grindelwald one August, and won't do it again. Because the village allows cars, that's where a lot of the big tour busses go; they clog up the streets and the air, and unload their passengers for their mountain fix.

By contrast, Wengen was quiet and tranquil when I went there for lunch.

You should bring layers of clothing with you so you'll be prepared for anything -- a few light sweaters, a cardigan or jacket, and a raincoat. Make sure, too, that you have sturdy shoes.

Have fun!

s

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen in August

Kirchbühl is a lovely hotel, but I, like Swandav, find the trafffic and tour busses in Grindelwald very tiresome. Wengen is charming and peaceful, and you will have quick access to the top "easy" hike in the region---the nearly -level one-hour walk from Männlichen (at the top of the cablecar that departs from Wengen) to Kleine Scheidegg (the end of the train line coming up from Wengen). From there, you can (1) ride the train back down, (2) walk down (about 2 hours on a wide and mostly well-graded path), or (3) ride the train down the other side to Grindelwald if you want to look around there, or do the easy hike from the First gondola to the lovely Bachalpsee.

In August we have seen every kind of weather, and temperatures from 30 degrees to over 80 degrees. Bring layers and don't forget the outer wind and waterproof layer.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen in August

I'll make it three. Wengen would be far and away my choice too. Good advice above.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen in August

Many thanks to you all!

Any suggestions for lodging in Wengen?

AustinGrandma

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen in August

Hi again,

Each of us has his/her favorite in Wengen -- take a look at the Wengen-specific forum and see the hotels that have been discussed. Also take a look at the reviews here for hotels in Wengen.

I think you'd be wise to get this done quickly, as August really is another high season for the Alpine villages. You may find the popular places getting limited already.

Good luck!

s

6. Re: Grindelwald or Wengen in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald