We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Base' for a trip

hull
2 posts
Save Topic
'Base' for a trip

Hi there,

Me and the wife are planning a motorcycle trip to The Alps in late June 08. Can anyone recommend a suitable 'base' for us for about 5 - 7 nights - we would be doing day trips on the bike to see the scenery etc.

Many thanks,

Mike

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Base' for a trip

Wengen, Grindelwald or Interlaken

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Base' for a trip

My rule has always been....if you want to see the Alps, stay in the Alps. That rules out Interlaken. If you are planning a bike holiday then I would recommend either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. The two villages assessable by road. You will be in the mountains, with the peaks at your doorstep but on days when you want to travel out of the area you can hop on your motorcycle and away you go. For journeys up to the higher villages and sights you can catch the trains and leave your motorcycles at your hotel. From either Lautebrunnen or Grindelwald it's only about 15 minutes down the valley to the highway for trips out of the area.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Base' for a trip

Usually I agree about staying in those mountain villages, but not on a motorcyle trip. There are not many roads accessible for them. Murren, Wengen and Gimmelwald can only be reached by public transport. Meiringen (close to the big mountain Passes) and Interlaken are much better bases to get around in the Berner Oberland. If you are mainly interested in visit many of the higher up mountain passes, I would recomend to stay near Andermatt or Fluelen.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Base' for a trip

Agreeing with 'mube' I would like to further suggest Meiringen as the starting point for at least three passes which if I was a biker would love to ride over.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Base' for a trip

Meiringen as a central starting point for (Grimsel, Susten, Brünig etc.) or

Chur or Bad Ragaz (Albula, Bernina, Maloya, San Bernadino, Flüela, Lukmanier, Lenzerheide etc.)

hull
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Base' for a trip

Hello again to one and all,

Many thanks for the advice - it's a comfort to know that there are so many people with the time and will to reply so quickly and helpfully.

I will keep an open mind for now on the final 'base destination' and let you know what and where we decide.

Thanks again,

Mike

7. Re: 'Base' for a trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, September 23, 2009