We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Impossible?

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Mission Impossible?

We are planning a very last minute trip to Grindelwald. Two adults and 2 teens. Just want 2 nights-July 6-8. Is this going to be impossible at this time of year? Any other towns that might not be so packed? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mission Impossible?

Why do you think this would be impossible? I've tried to make an online reservation on www.grindelwald.ch and they gave me 20 different hotels to choose from!

School holidays in Switzerland start from next week or later, so this week isn't the very peak season yet. You could be lucky with the weather too - we've had a lot of rain but it should clear up from this friday.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mission Impossible?

Thanks, Oller, I'll try that site. When my husband & I traveled that area 20 years ago (we are old!!), we drove around ,did not have reservations. We would stop and ask at various B & Bs or hotels and always got a great room. Would it be too risky with the four of us to try that now? Thanks for your advice.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mission Impossible?

I guess that you would find a room after your arrival in Grindelwald if it's rather early in the day. But the choice could be rather limited. If you decide not to book ahead I suggest you visit the tourist office on arrival. They have the overview of vacancies which saves you a lot of time.

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mission Impossible?

Hi Gagirl,

Just another small note --

You'll be going pretty close to high season in the Alps, and Grindelwald tends to fill up before the other mountain villages (because it allows cars & tourist busses). So it would be prudent to go ahead and make reservations before arrival, I think.

s

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
5. Re: Mission Impossible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 04, 2009