We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald To first.

penang, malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald To first.

Hello. I am travelling to Switzerland in dec and play to buy saver day pass. I know the dates are far away. Sdp costs 52chf without half fare card. My question is after I reach Grindelwald from Lucerne and plan to to go to First, does sdp cover this route? If not how much would I have to pay? Thank you.

13 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald To first.

SDP does not cover the trip to First. The fare is 30CHF one way without a Half Fare Card. There are combo packaged deals with activities that offer discounts if you are interested.

penang, malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald To first.

Thank you for your help. One more question. If I decide not to go to the mountain area, only to be in the centre( take some photographs and walk around just to feel the area ) would 2-3 hours be enough for me ? Thank you again.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald To first.

Plenty of time. Grindelwald is not a large village. You can walk from one end of it to the other in about 20 mins. The views, especially of the Eiger, from Grindelwald are superb.

depending on when you are here in December the lift up to First might not be running. Grindelwald's winter season starts in mid December...

penang, malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald To first.

Thank you for your help. Clearly explained.

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald To first.

hi,

we will be at grindelwald this october. we hope that we can go to first grindelwald by car. google map showed it can be done; however, other sources mentioned that we can only drive up to grindelwald. so can you say which is correct ?

eric

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald To first.

hi,

we will be at grindelwald this october. from there, we hope that we drive up to first grindelwald by car. google map showed it can be done; however, other sources mentioned that we can only drive up to grindelwald. so can you say which is correct ?

eric

Edited: 12:04 am, August 08, 2018
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grindelwald To first.

Yes, you can go by car. Yes, you can drive to Grindelwald, but only along the valley route from Interlaken. You cant drive from Meiringen over Grosse Scheidegg, this is bus, bicycle and walking only.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grindelwald To first.

You cannot drive to First by car or any other means. Either you walk up or you take the cable car.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grindelwald To first.

Ah. Yes. I didn’t understand the question obviously.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,578 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grindelwald To first.

Do not trust google maps. Most roads in the area are off limits to non locals. You can drive the main road in the valley and park your car at your accommodation or a paid parking spot. That’s about it...

Reply to: Grindelwald To first.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted