We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungfrau or Schilthorn?

NJ
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jungfrau or Schilthorn?

We will be spending 2 or 3 nights in the Berner Oberland area in August and I'm trying to plan our activities. Both the Jungfrau and Schilthorn sound fabulous. Since time (and money) will prevent doing both, which would you recommend? I realize this is a subjective opinion, but I am curious as to your personal preference and the reasons.

We are still deciding whether to stay in Grindelwald or Wengen. I don't know if which mountain peak we see should affect where we stay. I would also like to visit the waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen and do a couple scenic hikes/walks. Thanks for your insight.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungfrau or Schilthorn?

I personally prefer the Schilthorn over the Jungfraujoch. The views are better, the ride up is better and I think the experience at the top is better.For the choice of villages I would choose Wengen over Grindelwald. The views are better, I like the atmosphere better, you won't see bus loads of tourists and you won't have to dodge traffic. Wengen is closer to the Jungfrau but it's not much of a ride (or walk)down the mountain to Lauterbrunnen where you can see the Falls you mentioned and catch the cablecar up to Murren and on to the Schilthorn. If you're a more serious hiker you can even hike up to the top of the Schilthorn. It's about 4 and a half hours up from Murren but the views from the top are always better when you've hiked up. And it saves the cablecar fare.

Before you go check out the 1968 James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Not the greatest if the Bond movies but the Schilthorn and it's Piz Gloria resturant are featured prominantly.

Enjoy your trip.

2. Re: Jungfrau or Schilthorn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald