We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

We barely have 1.5days in Gstaad. Advice how & what to see- visiting OCT 1st week.

Main interest is picturesque views/ quaint locales...

1. want to go to Saanen (and have noted all to-fro Bus & Train schedules to reach thr). Is there any other way to go to Saanen?

2. Want to visit Lauenen Lakeside (but SBB has numerous Lauenen-options...don't knw which one to click). what's the best way to go there?

3. Gondolas- no clue, advice which is best to take & which ones might be open in week-1 Oct.

4. We can do a short hike (however not a very strenuous one).

Staying at Christiana Hotel near Gstaad Station. Reasonably priced restaurant recommendations requested.

Heading to Zermatt thereafter for 2 days. Look fwd to all suggestions. Thanks.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

1) You can walk. It's a nice about 1/2 hour along the river called as well Saanen.

2) Lauenen is as well a village. You want to go to Lauenensee (lake Lauenen)

3) cable cars and opening hours are posted here gstaad.ch/en/…SummerOpeningDates my favorite is Rellerli (green meadows, best view), don't go to Glacier3000, you will see much better glaciers in Zermatt.

4) Endless options for easy hikes, signs and maps are everywhere. You can walk a bit on the Rellerli. As well very scenic is the easy walk from Schöenried to Gstaad. The walk around lake Lauenen is very short, but for sure worth as well.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

Hi Nirupama,

Yes, as mube says, the *best* way (imo) to get from Gstaad to Saanen is along the Philosopher's Way along the river.

Best way to get to Launensee, again imo, is to walk. It's a pleasant and easy 2h or 2h30 walk. Take the cable car up to Wispile Hohe and follow the signs for the Launensee. It's one of the most popular walks in the area, with spectacular scenery, rewarded by the lake at the end of it! Then take the bus back to Gstaad.

Best gondola ride, imo, is the one to Wispile, with many walks available onward from there.

Do agree that the walk from Schöenried to Gstaad is also great, along green rolling hills. I took the higher of the two options and enjoyed it. It takes about 45-60 minutes.

Here are some albums of the walk from Wispile and the walk to Saanen:

Gstaad & walk to Saanen

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome…

Walk to Wispile

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome…

Have fun as you plan!

s

Edited: 1:02 am, September 28, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

Oh! thank you both so very much for your guidance. I was completely lost earlier.

@mube: yes, will avoid Glacier 3000. We hav already done the Jungfrau/Schilthorn earlier and @Zermatt we r staying at 3100 Klum Gornergrat so don't need more glaciers. thanks for pointing that out.

Luckily all rides to Wispile, Rellerli, Horneggli are open till14th Oct...so can make it.

@Swandav: your pics overwhelmed me...they are glorious. Don't think i will want to return from Gstaad.

We will reach Gstaad around 1:30 and i think we'll take the walk to Saanen same afternoon & return on either bus/train both of which runs till late. Your pics have inspired me and i have to walk this path. plz give Additional (and exact route to follow) as u did.

Next day will take the cable/gondola to Wispile and walk to the lake. Is there a place to eat near the lake?

How to return back to Schoenried/or to Gstaad from the lakeside?

2nd half can do Schöenried to Gstaad. or return to Gstaad & take the ride to Rellerili. more details & advice appreciated.

Thanks, Nirupama.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

Hi again,

That sounds like a good plan -- I, too, like to get into the countryside as soon as I can!

Unfortunately, every time I've taken the Philosopher's Path, I've kind of stumbled on it. I think I remember that it starts behind the Coop, but the first plaque is right at the church in the center of the pedestrian zone. If you have any doubts at all, you can get the brochure for it from the Tourist Office in town.

Yes, there is a nice little restaurant at the Launensee, which you can see at the end of the photos. The bus stop is just about 100 or 200m from the restaurant. I would make sure the restaurant is open on the day you hike, though.

You can see the bus schedule if you use the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

just enter

From Launensee

To Gstaad

Looks like the first bus in the afternoon is at 14.10, and the busses come once an hour at .10 past the hour for the rest of the afternoon. But verify the schedule before you depart.

The Relleri cable car is actually in Schönried. So, if you have the time, you could do both of those. Take the train to Schöenried, then walk to the cable car and go up and down, then walk to Gstaad. There are two cable cars in Schönried, so to get to the Relleri one, after you get off the train, head downhill away from town. You can see it clearly if you go to google maps and get a map of the town.

Have fun! I adore Gstaad!

s

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

Hiking from Gstaad to Gruben train station or vice-versa is also a very pretty and short hike. We took a bus to Saanen and its a amazing place. Later took a train from saanen to rougemont and it was WOW!!. Love swiss.

Edited: 11:31 am, June 12, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

Hello Swandav,

You are a real wealth of information!

I too would love to do these walks in my upcoming vacation in June. Is it possible to do them with a kid on a stroller? I mean are all the paths paved ?

Thanks!

7. Re: Scenic best for 2days in Gstaad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, April 29, 2015