We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Gstaad

Which Gstaad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Gstaad

Hi,can someone please tell me how to get from Munich to Gstaad as directly as possible,by train.

Thank you

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi whiteamalfi,

I do this trip regularly, and I'll be doing it again in July. It's a long one, but not too bad.

You can get the exact schedules at the German rail site

www.bahn.com

You can buy your tickets 92 days in advance, when the discounted fares go on sale.

Basically the trip takes about 8h30 with changes in Stutthart, Zürich, Spiez, and Zweisimmen.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Thank you S for an answer,but I'm looking to get there with 3 small children quicker than 8 hours.

Is there a way I can fly to an international airport then get a train to Gstaad.?

Hope you can help us once again.

Regards

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi again,

oh, I don't mean to be insensitive, but I'm not sure what the three children have to do with it . . . families are on the trains all the time. Some of the trains even have "family cars" where kids can play a bit and meet other kids.

Anyway, you could fly into Geneva airport, and the train trip to Gstaad is only 2h42 (or2h36 depending on which connections you made).

You could fly into Zürich airport, and the train trip will be 3h08 to 3h38, again depending on which connections you made.

Both airports have an attached train station, so you can usually be on the train within an hour after landing. There are lots of cafes and grocery stores at the airports, too, so you can gather up a nice little lunch to enjoy along the way.

You can get the train schedules and connections at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Have fun in Gstaad!

s

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Thank you so much S,once again extremely helpful,thanks.

Our kids will love the train,but little ones can be very restless,so we'd prefer to get them to our destination as quickly as possible.

A three hour train trip will be plenty for them as opposed to 8 hours on a train.

Thanks

Whiteamalfi

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi

From Munich you can also fly to Bern-Belp.

From there train trip is about 2.30h.

Regards

pb

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi Pb,

Thank you so much for your help.

This sounds like a better option for us.

Regards

Whiteamalfi

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi again,

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but in my experience, a connecting flight isn't going to be quicker or more relaxing than a long train ride. Since Bern/Belp is a small airport, you probably won't have an interline ticket and will have to switch airlines.

That means you'll have to wait for your luggage to arrive, claim it, then go through security again, and check in again at your new airline. That entire procedure will probably entail about 90 minutes, including the security wait-time. Then you'll have the flight, and then claiming your luggage again, then a bus ride or taxi ride to the train station, and the 2h30 train ride. That really seems like a lot of hassle, particularly if you are concerned about weary children.

Where are you flying in from? Zürich is a huge international airport, and you should be able to get a flight in from Australia. Geneva is not as large, but you can normally get a connecting interline flight from within Europe, and have your luggage and tickets on a single ticket.

s

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi

Swandav is totally right if you're first flying in from Australia! Then better look out for a flight to Geneva or Zurich, becaus of the mentioned reasons.

But if you're flying only from Munich to Switzerland, tha Berne could be a good option. From the airport you need to take the connection bus to a train station (Bern mainstation best option) and from there the train to Zweisimmen (change) - Gstaad. Overall 2h30 train ride. From Zurich airport you have about 3h and have to change at least also twice. From Geneva train ride is about 2h45 and one or two changes, which also would be good option.

Regards

pb

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi Pb,

I like your option,as we will have already been in Europe for 3 weeks,we're not flying in directly from Australia.

Thank you so much for all your help,its appreciated.

Kind regards

Whiteamalfi

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich to Gstaad

Hi whiteamalfi

You're welcome. Enjoy your trip. And don't miss to do some hiking around Zweisimmen near Gstaad. There are beautiful possibilities (Rinderberg, Seebergsee, Sparenmoos).

Best regards

pb