We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

half board in Gstaad

Which Gstaad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
half board in Gstaad

We plan to stay at Steigenberger Alpenhotel. Do you know what the restaurant is like? Should we get 1/2 board? or are there much better restaurants that you would recommend? Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: half board in Gstaad

Hi 43josie,

I've stayed at the Steigenberger and loved it! I ate dinner there two nights, and the food was great.

However, you should know that the Steigenberger is on a little hill above Saanen, and Saanen is about a 30-minutes' walk from Gstaad (or a 5-minute train ride). There aren't a lot of restaurants in Saanen, so if you plan to be at/near Saanen at night, then half-board there would be good.

However, Gstaad is a gourmet's paradise. There are more Gault-Millau restaurants there than its size warrants. I always budget some money for one or two great meals during any visit there -- the Chesery or the restaurant at the Hotel Grand Chalet, just to name two. So if you think you'll be around the town of Gstaad itself at dinnertime, then I would say to skip the half-board option and treat yourself to some memorable meals.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: half board in Gstaad

Your reply was really valuable. I definitely want to stay in Gstaad itself, not the outskirts, so I have revised my plans. I looked into Posthotel Rossil. Trip advisor participants wrote enthusiatically about their restaurant. The main one, Stubli will be closed the night we stay, but their other restaurant will be open. Do you know anything about it? thanks for your continued advice.

Edited: 4:58 am, February 17, 2012
3. Re: half board in Gstaad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, June 07, 2013