We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Which Gstaad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

My son wants to ski in Switzerland - he will be travelling with his dad mid-March. They are travelling from Canada - Paris to Rome. I have planned on them going Paris - Montreux and staying there. Then going into Gstaad for a day. And back to Montreux for the night (due to the costs of hotels in Gstaad). Does this sound reasonable? They need to rent skiwear and equipment - I can't find info for that at Gstaad. And I am wondering if the train station would have lockers for luggage if I routed them out toward Lucerne instead of back to Montreux. Any other suggestions are welcome - I chose Gstaad for its location and ambiance.

Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Thanks pb_zweisimmen. It sounds like a nice area. I will check out the rentals there. We already booked Zermatt though and planned on staying 2 nights so they get a full day skiing. It is expensive though.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

If you t hink Zermatt is expensive - Gstaad (ski home of the rich and famous!!) is even more so. "Little black dresses" and all that!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Well, you *can* find some reasonable prices, even in Gstaad.

I just booked 11 nights in a 4-star hotel in August during the music festival (the highest part of the high season) with half board for 168 chf per night.

If you subract the cost of dinner (maybe 40 chf??) that somes to 128 chf per night in Gstaad in August in a 4-star. Not bad, I think!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

That isa steal! Well done!!

be suer to post a review afterwards!

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Gstaad has for sure expensive offers, but this is only one side off the coin. You find also great offers for smaller budgets (families etc.)

Children up to 9 ages are free during all year on the Gstaad Mountain Rides (cable cars) and in a lot of hotels.

And during summer you get, with two nights staing, the Gstaad easy access card: gstaad.ch/en/…Gstaadeasyaccesscard_en

This card includes a lot of great offers for a great price.

Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

I was planning on renting a hotel in Montreux and travelling in and out of Gstaad for the day of skiing, which would have made a long day of it, and maybe not as enjoyable as staying right in town.

The hotel in Montreux was 230 CHF for 2 nights. The hotel in Zermatt is 360 CFH for two nights, but one of the cheapest and prob smallest rooms available.

I will get to enjoy Gstaad this summer but will probably stay elsewhere. We will be travelling for a few days before staying in Interlaken for one week and making day trips from there. I can't wait!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Low season in Montreux now. High High season in Zermatt!! Lucky you to have found a hotel.

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

So enjoy your skiing in Zermatt. Also a very beautiful spot to ski.

Don't miss to stay two nights in Gstaad in summer. (Maybe in Zweisimmen, if you are looking for something cheaper). So you can enjoy the activities with the Gstaad easyaccess card.

To complete the price comparison:

Today you find rooms for CHF 270.- in Gstaad with wellness, apple computers, lounge etc. (high season in Gstaad).

Edited: 8:36 am, February 21, 2012
19. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, May 05, 2013