We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

My son wants to ski in Switzerland - he will be travelling with his dad mid-March. They are travelling from Canada - Paris to Rome. I have planned on them going Paris - Montreux and staying there. Then going into Gstaad for a day. And back to Montreux for the night (due to the costs of hotels in Gstaad). Does this sound reasonable? They need to rent skiwear and equipment - I can't find info for that at Gstaad. And I am wondering if the train station would have lockers for luggage if I routed them out toward Lucerne instead of back to Montreux. Any other suggestions are welcome - I chose Gstaad for its location and ambiance.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

The station at Gstaad is a fair distance from the actual ski area.

They would do better to stay on the train for another ten minutes and get off in either Schönried or Saanenmöser. Both of these are small villages with ski rental shops right opposite the station, and they are part of the same ski area as Gstaad - it's the same skipass.

Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Okay. Do you know if they get their ski pass right there at the station? and if they would also have ski jackets and pants etc for rent there?

What is the cost of a ski pass etc?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

They would get the ski pass from the bottom station of the lifts - which is about 5 minutes' walk from the station at Saanenmöser. There are two or three rental shops between the station and the lifts, not sure if they rent clothing though.

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/index.cfm has information about prices, etc.

Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Thanks for your help.

They are only travelling with backpacks and don't want to haul all their ski gear for one day of the trip. I will have to confirm clothing rentals somehow or they could be wasting a lot of time there and not get to ski anyway.

Looks like a beautiful area, though. I think my 17 yr old son is more interested in the ski experience than the scenery.

Thanks again.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,686 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

The entire Gstaad area is quite low, as ski resorts go. Right now there is plenty of snow. But if things warm up, it is possible that ski lifts in that region will have to close...so they might want to have another place as a backup. A high resort - Verbier, for example.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

It's not super common for the hire shops in smaller places to rent out clothes. I've helped people make outfits out of lots of clothes, hat, scarf, gloves, plus waterproof over jacket and trousers (which scrunch up small), but this is not ideal.

Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

I am wondering if I could convince my son that it is just as good to say he was in the Alps as to ski int he alps, which location would be most exciting to see? The glacier 3000 sounds like a nice lookout point. But maybe Zermatt would be more special to say he was at the Matterhorn.

Any suggestions if they decide they don't need to ski?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,686 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Skiing ON the Glacier 3000 is pretty flat. The run down is OK but you need to be at least an Intermediate skier.

Sports shops in Zermatt rent out ski clothes as well as skiis.

Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

I appreciate your help. It sounds like Zermatt will be the better option for us for guaranteed snow and hopefully I can find a shop with clothes. I will try the Zermatt tourist site, as the only online shops I found do not have clothes.

At best, I can convince my husband that it is not unreasonable to train travel with a small suitcase on rollers so he has more space for clothes.

I will be in Switzerland in the summer with my husband and am looking forward to touring through Montreux, Gstaad area and across to Lucerne. So maybe its best that dear hubby gets a different experience this time, anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

Zweisimmen...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The logistics of one day skiing in Gstaad

Hi

I would recommend you still the region of Gstaad. Travelling up to Zermatt is quite long and complicated. Especially for one day skiing (Train 1h 30 to Visp-Train 1h 15 to Zermatt-Walk/Taxi/Bus 10 min to cable car station)

In Saanenmöser (1h 45) train station is 5 Min. beside the cable cars. At the sport shop "Schneeberger" (just beside the station) you can rent equipment (also clothing) and then walk 5 Minutes to the station.

It's correct that the region is not the highest, but this is more an advantage. Because most of the slopes are mountains with grass underneith and not big rocks you can ski with little snow and most of the slope have artificial snow production anyway, so in the last 5 years ther was never a problem with skiing on the slopes. You can normally ski from End of November until Middle of April (Glacier 3000 End October till May).

Skier find all different kind of slopes and mostly here are not as many people as in other destinations.

More informations you find as mentioned above: http://www.gstaad.ch/en/index.cfm

Best regards

pb_zweisimmen