We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is skiing from city center in Gstaad?

Zurich
1 post
Save Topic
How far is skiing from city center in Gstaad?

I am taking my husband to Gstaad for a suprise trip. We live in Zurich, and we will train to Gstaad. Our hotel is Hotel Olden and located in the "Main drag". Does anyone know how we can get to the ski slopes? We both have all our equipment as well as a two-day pass already.

I appreciate it! Thanks.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is skiing from city center in Gstaad?

Hi Alispeedboat

Of course you can walk to the slope transport system, though I don't remember how far it is. I walked from the center of town to the gondola up to Eggli, but, again, don't remember how far it was (edge of town . . .).

Here's a link to an interactive map of Gstaad & its trails. It may help you visualize the distances:

http://ski.intermaps.com/gstaad/

You can click & enlarge different sections of the overall map.

Also want to suggest you e-mail (or phone!) your hotel and ask. There's probably also a skibus.

Best of luck!

s

Towcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is skiing from city center in Gstaad?

Hotel Olden is in a good location - but it's not exactly walking distance to the slopes. Don't get me wrong - it's not far when you're not stomping around in ski boots. I stay at the Arc-en-ciel, and it's only a 5 - 10 minute walk (depending on how slippery the road is) - my hotel is located right next to the Eggli. I was there just a couple of weeks ago, and I did see a bus regularly coming and going. No idea how much it costs, but I'm sure it's pretty cheap. Some hotels also have thier own transportation. Gstaad just isn't a ski-in, ski-out kind of place.

The Olden is close to the end of the Pedestrianised zone, not too far from where the busses seem to stop.

Btw, Bernie Eccleston (Mr F1 himself) is part owner of the Olden.

atlanta
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is skiing from city center in Gstaad?

We stayed in Gstaad this past December and had a wonderful time. I believe Hotel Olden was just across from the main drag from the train station. There is a ski bus that runs from the train station parking lot to all of the ski slopes. Keep in mind, Gstaad is tiny so even if you are not right by train station, it is just a short walk.