We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in mountains from Geneva

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in mountains from Geneva

I'd like to know the best place to stay for a weekend in the summer - a short train ride from Geneva (1.5 hours max) that has the best scenery i.e. high mountains. I have the chance to fly out from the UK to meet my partner who is on business in Geneva for 2 weeks. We loved the Wengen region, but think it is not quite so spectacular closer to Geneva - but would really love some advice and expertise!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in mountains from Geneva

Hi CbSurrey,

I absolutely adore Gstaad and nearby towns of Saanen, Rougemont, and Chateau d'Oex. However, they're going to be more like 2h30 to 3h from Geneva.

You might get to the French Alps more quickly than to the Swiss ones. You can take a bus from Geneva to Megeve or Chamonix in about two hours.

Other possibilities are maybe to go to the top of Rochers-de-Naye, above Montreux. You could probably get there in two hours or less.

Hmmm, but if it were me, I'd head to Gstaad! There's a music festival in Gstaad in August; I would try for that!

Have fun!

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in mountains from Geneva

You can get up into the prealps, at the Vevey/Montreux end of Lake Geneva, which are the start of the alps in about an hour and 3/4. The mountains are not huge by Swiss standards (up to around 2000 m, but they are nice and pointy once you get amongst them. There are a number of villages that you could stay in in this area, but maybe take a look at my photos of the village I always go to for family reasons to get a general idea of the area (click on traveller photos to the left of the page):

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g644345-Les_Paccots_…

Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.

Have fun wherever you end up.

3. Re: Weekend in mountains from Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 27, 2009