We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

Dear TripAdvisor experts!

I'm seeking you help as I try to play a long weekend in adelboden in the second week of may. We have just three days but want to make the most of things. We suddenly found out a week ago that most of the attractions/hotels etc will be closed for the month - not something we realised when we planned to go out, as we are staying in a friends apartment.!

I wonder if you kind folk could help us make the most of this trip by advising on what is open and ideal to do. We will have a car so getting around is not a problem, but we don't want to be travelling all the time.

We would like to try the following:

1) Go up the mountains in a cable car! Is the schilthorn the nearest and only one open at this time?

2) Perhaps go skiing one day - forgive my ignorance here but will there be any runs still open and with snow at this time in adelboden?

3) Eat some nice local food! Are there nice restaurants open in adelboden? or in the area or on mountain side walks?

4) Visit a spa. The two in adelboden are closed. Are there any that aren't miles away which would be open?

5) visit interlaken. Will anything be open/running there?

6) Perhaps hire bikes but again, don't know if anywhere will be open for this.

7) Go hiking in the mountains. Is there a good basic/medium route to take in adelboden which might include an open cafe?

Probably other things which we haven't thought of - please do suggest!

Any help much appreciated.

David

Harder Kulm
Observation Decks & Towers, Mountains, Hiking Trails
Jungfrau
Geologic Formations, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Scenic Railroads, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Schynige Platte
Observation Decks & Towers, Mountains
Lauterbrunnen Village
Mountains, Valleys, Waterfalls
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

Adelboden is lovely but it will be VERY quiet in May. However if you have lovely early spring weather you can take walks in alpine flowered meadows, the nearby Engstligen waterfalls are beautiful, with good walking.

You can visit nearby Kandersteg. The a stunning Oeschinensee above will be open around 10th of May. You can also visit Bern, which is a World Heritage Site. If you like museums, the new Paul Klee museum is a must. I don't think of Interlaken as destination to sightsee but there may be a spa for you, or a cruise on Lake Brienz would be nice, and visit the Ballenberg Open Air Museum which I think should be open. Too bad the Parkhotel Bellevue will be closed - its food and spa are excellent.

Of course the shops and eateries for locals will be open in Adelboden. I personally quite like the quiet of off-season.

Edited: 12:02 pm, April 24, 2014
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

It also occurs to me that you might find some nice restaurants open in nearby Frutigen.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

Swissfan

Many thanks indeed for all your advice - really helpful. We are planning to visit the Oeschinensee now on the 10th and will check out Frutigen too.

Just need some clear weather now!!

D

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

Your advice was really helpful - thanks. We had a fantastic time in Kandersteg last Saturday.

Thanks again

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

Glad to hear it!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

Hi David

When you visit Frutigen I would recommend a visit at the Tropical House there where you can get Swiss Caviar and Swiss tropical fruit. The installation gets heated by water from the new railway tunnel. There is a very good restaurant.

Have fun

pore

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
680 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

How do you reach the Tropical House from the train station? Is it walking distance or by bus?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

It is in walking distance from the railway station (7 minutes). Best is to ask the driver for directions.

pore

9. Re: Adelboden in May - is everything closed?!!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 11, 2015