We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

Hello! My boyfriend and I are connecting from Africa in Zurich and deciding to explore Switzerland for 4 days. We are in our mid-thirties, want to see the beautiful Swiss countryside and have settled on Grindelwald as our home base. The posters on TA have an infinite amount of knowledge in this area so am wondering about a few things:

1) I have read on these forums that May is maintenance season and many hotels and some lifts are closed. How do we find out? We are staying at the Sunstar Grindelwald, arriving on May 19 and departing on May 22. Unfortunately I cannot change the dates but wondering if we shouldn't go to this area and perhaps explore somewhere else?

2) Itinerary:

May 19 - land in Zurich, train and arrive mid-day to Grindelwald. What would you recommend to do on that first day? We'll have been on a red-eye from Kenya so don't want to do too much as we will be exhausted but do want to explore all the villages. Would it be easy to go the see Trummelbach Falls on this afternoon?

May 20 - Jungfrau/Schilthorn - depending on weather

May 21 - Jungfrau - Schilthorn - depending on weather. In your experience, do you think we'll at least be able to see one or the other during this time? What is typical late May weather in this area?

If we get to go to Schilthorn, I was planning on the cable car through Lauterbrunnen and Murren so we can explore there as well.

I also wanted to visit Gimmelwald for lunch and the views. Too much on the itinerary?

May 22 - Would be open to something leisurely on this day before we have to leave. Check out at noon, perhaps a little walking around and would like to be in Zurich by 6pm.

I welcome any thoughts, suggestions, advice! Thank you!!!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

Trummelbach FAlls is worth seeing but it's far enough away that I wouldn't make a special trip from Grindelwald just to see. Especially after a long tiring trip to get to Grindelwald.

I would include Trummelbach in your Murren/Schilthorn day. It's right on the route. Also on that day I'm not sure what would be open in Gimmelwald for lunch. It's quite a small hamlet and things may not yet be open for the summer season.

The lift from Grindelwald to Pfingstegg will be operating at that time so maybe you could ride it up and do some easy walking on the afternoon of your arrival day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

Thank you so much, mountaintopper!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

One more question- so overall, you think it will be OK to head to this area in late May? Knowing that we may not be able to see either Jungfrau or Schilthorn bc of the weather.. still enough to see and do in the area?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

The Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch are weather dependent no matter when you go but there should be enough for you to see for a couple of days anyway.

Edited: 7:38 am, April 03, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

I think that late May may be a good bet for Jungfrau and Schilthorn this year. Even if not then Kleine Scheidegg and Murren will give 2 good days out.

Can you really believe though that this area is so popular for tourism that you could visit for 2 days and there isn't enough to do? Stay for 2 months and you will still be finding new places to see.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

Thank you!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

Pension Gimmelwald is a great place for lunch - delicious daily special with a magnificent view of the alps! Gimmelwald is a fairly easy hike from Murren.

8. Re: Traveling in May to Bernese Oberland? Mistake? Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 14, 2015