We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights between Zurich and Zermatt

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Two nights between Zurich and Zermatt

Hello everyone.

Planning our first visit to Switzerland. The current itinerary is:

Day 1 Zurich

Day 5 or 6 arrive Zermatt (any time)

I'd be very grateful for ideas as to balancing say two days in Zurich and a scenic stop along the way. Interlaken was mentioned, but are there other recommendations? It will be January, so unfortunately we will be limited to wintry activities.

Thank you.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights between Zurich and Zermatt

That will be the middle of ski season so Wengen, Murren or even Grindelwald would be great bases for a ski stop. Easy access to three separate ski areas from any of the villages. All are just a few minutes south of Interlaken.

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights between Zurich and Zermatt

I will be in Switzerland again in a few weeks. The last time we were in Switzerland for 2 weeks after a 5 day convention in Zurich. If I had only 6 nights which is exactly what we have in Switzerland next month after leaving Italy, I would definitely not spend 2 nights in the big banking city of Zurich and I would avoid Interlaken except for the necessary train connection, although I read that tour groups from India love to stop in Interlaken.

Spend day 1 and 2 in Luzern which is a short train ride from Zurich, day 3 and 4 in Lauterbrunnen which is an ideal location for an entire vacation from which you can easily do day trips in the Bernese Oberland, and day 5 and 6 in Zermatt. Research and look at photos of those places on TA and www.myswitzerland.com Those are areas of scenic beauty which is what most people go to Switzerland to see, not to see big cities.

A half day of sightseeing to show our friends the highlights of Zurich before we put them on the train to Paris and we take our late afternoon flight to from Zurich to London is what we have planned.

3. Re: Two nights between Zurich and Zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 15, 2014