We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

Stockholm, Sweden
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

Wondering where we should walk with the twins this summer, anybody with good ideas? Somebody suggested this area on a Swedish forum, hence the question here.

The conditions are roughly:

- we're a couple aged about 40 but are quite experienced hikers

- we have twins each sitting in a backpack child carrier, they're 1.5 years old this summer

- start ready pack with twin and essentials for the day weighed approx 19 kgs in january's hikes in new zealand. They're not going to weigh less in 5-6 months time...

- Due to weight of day pack the rest of the luggage has to travel without us (bus, taxi, helicopter...), should we not return to the same hotel every day

- we can walk 3-6 effective hours per day but not 6 hours every day

- hills are OK but again due to weight not too much every day

- the terrain has to be reasonably easy, no scrambling or via ferrata

- it is an advantage if travelling to / from the hike is relatively easy, e g direct train / bus from airport

- preferrably we'd like to eat and drink well in the evenings

We can do day hikes from a base, and this is probably the easiest way. Where should we base ourselves in that case to find scenic day walks that'll keep us busy 4-5 days? We can of course always change base at some point.

But there is no denying that somehow the idea of travelling from point A to B over a couple of days is of some reason more attractive than walking from A to A, A to A, A to A... but then the luggage has to travel by its own. Feasible at all?

Thanx in advance!

/Roland

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

Haven't done much (or any) hiking with twins in backpacks but I would lean more toward the day hiking scenario. Especially in the Oberland where you can spend days based in one place and not cover the same ground twice. And all of it beautiful.

I would base myself in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen and set out from there each day.

Lots of easy hikes in summer (I assume thats when you're going) like:

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg easy walk that you can extend several additional hours if you wish. Great intro to the area hike.

Grutchalp across to Murren and down to Gimmelwald. Easy walking and great scenery.

From Lauterbrunnen up to Murren. A little more uphill but lots of rest stops available near the waterfalls.

Stechelberg up to the mountain hotel/restaurant at Obersteinberg and back.

From Grindelwald take the lift up to First and hike up to the Bachalpsee and back. Not too steep after the start and great views.

Lots more that I'm sure others may suggest. None are disappointing.

Perth, Western...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

Hi Roland

Very excited to hear someone else hiking with twins! I don't know many, so would love to hear more of your adventures and experiences. My husband and I have 11 month old twins and just spent 3 weeks doing day hikes in Tasmania, Australia (in Februrary). We stayed on Bruny Island (lots of beautiful beach hikes and national parks), and in Cradle Mountain. Bruny Island we had to drive to the locations - no public transport. In Cradle Mountain there was a free shuttle bus that ran every 10 mins into the park from where we stayed (15 min ride), stopping at various places so you could walk from A to B then catch bus from B. The walks were amazing (I have hiked in Switzerland, Norway, US etc) and unique country (quite Australian). We hiked for 5 hours each day (including 1 hour break for feeds and for boys to play). Options of very popular 'sandal hikes' on boardwalks with lots of other people around, or less popular tracks where you might see one other person. Could also choose from steep to flat. Good accommodation options - we stayed in 2 bedroom bush chalet with comfortable facilities. Restaurants and small shops around, but good to have a car since they are spread out. February is the best time in Tasmania because it is after school holidays have finished and the weather is the warmest (Tassie is not hot). We had 20degress most days, sunny, with cool nights, but we werre lucky. We are planning New Zealand in February next year so would love to hear where you hiked and stayed! Amanda.

Stockholm, Sweden
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

Amanda R, you have a message. We're getting a bit off topic (Bernese Oberland)...

/Roland

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

I don't like staying in the base of the valley so wouldn't choose Lauterbrunnen as a base but the walk along the valley to Stechelberg is easy and very pleasant. Lauterbrunnen to Murren is a climb of almost 3,000 feet, which I wouldn't fancy carrying a child. Mountaintopper is obviously fitter than me. There is a walk with great views along the contour from the Phinstegg cable car at Grindelwald to the tongue of the (rapidly disappearing) upper glacier. We split our stays between Murren and Grindelwald, partly because with a decent pair of binoculars from almost any terrace in Grindelwald it is sometimes possible to see climbers on the North Face of the Eiger. I once started to climb it myself but was forced to turn back by an attack of vertigo after about 18 inches!

5. Re: Where should we hike this summer with twins 1.5 years old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 26, 2014