We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sledging - April/May

New York, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sledging - April/May

I'll be visiting the area in what will likely be late April or early May and I'm wondering what the chances are that I'll be able to do some sledging. Will anything remain open at higher elevations? What sledging areas generally stay open the latest into the season and when do they stay open till? Also, do these areas (and the lifts) have specific closing dates or do they stay open till the snow is gone?

If I knew there was zero chance of sledging on May 1st, but a fair chance of doing it on April 15th, I could try to move the date of my trip up a little. But if anything after April 1st is very unlikely, then I am probably out of luck for this trip. Thanks for any guidance.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sledging - April/May

The Mannlichen area ski lifts are currently scheduled to close on April 14. The Schilthorn area is scheduled to stay open one more week to the 21st. Grindelwald/First is scheduled to close April 1st. Sledging operations usually have the same schedule.

Overall I would say chances are not good for your time schedule.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sledging - April/May

Thanks very much. This is exactly the information I needed. It might be possible to move my trip all the way up to early April. At least now I know what to target if I want to get the chance to do some sledging.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sledging - April/May

If I were you, I would contact the tourist office of the resort you are thinking about (you haven't specified). There are lots of factors later in the season which mean that sledging runs can close earlier than the resort. Obviously, spring snow is wetter and icier which isn't ideal for sledging.

That said, the conditions (and base of snow) this year are exceptionally good and most resorts - if current conditions continue - will remain open until advertised dates and may even extend their seasons. You have posted in Berner Oberland which doesn't have the highest resorts in Switzerland, and therefore isn't necessarily the latest opening.

Edited: 2:46 am, February 07, 2013
New York, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sledging - April/May

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a little more detail: We are planning on being in the area for about 3 days. We have not booked our travel yet, thus leaving us with some flexibility. Ideally, we would be travelling around April 30-May 3. However, we could fairly easily move the dates as early as April 15 or as late as May 15. With a bit more difficulty we could probably shift to as early as April 1 or as late as May 30. Here is the dilemma. We are interested in such activities as sledging, hiking, mountain biking, seeing the top of Jungfrau, visiting waterfalls, and perhaps a lake cruise. I realize that we are between seasons and it won't be possible to do all of this. My concern is that we end with a situation where it is too late for sledging, but perhaps a bit muddy for much hiking/biking.

We are planning on making Lauterbrunnen our base of operations, though again without having booked anything this is open to adjustment as well. It is by no means necessary that we have the opportunity to enjoy all the activities we have interest in. And I'm sure we'll have a great time on our first visit to the region regardless. But it sounds like if we move our trip to early April we would have a good chance of doing some sledging, which sounds like great fun. My alternative is to try to push back into later May for perhaps more pleasant weather for hiking and/or biking.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sledging - April/May

Your concern is absolutely right. Too late for sledging, too early for hiking/biking. This could apply to all of April, May and early June in the high mountain, especially as this year there is a lot of snow to melt.

You will be able to hike and bike at lower altitudes (but not anything accessed by lifts). Sledging really depends on the exact resort and you need to contact the specific resorts. Despite the fact it's currently an excellent season, sledging runs can close earlier than the resort due to the wetness/iciness of the snow.

Lake cruising won't be a problem.

Edited: 2:32 am, February 08, 2013
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sledging - April/May

I think you should decide between sledging and biking.

I have been in Murren in midApril when there was sledging in limited areas-not from First in Grindelwald because it is south facing.

Klosters and especially Arosa both have sledging and are higher up, so more likely to be open later in the season. Klosters/Davos have lots of other activities. Arosa is a bit more limited. Both have gorgeous views and plenty of hiking, even if muddy/slushy. For biking, I think you have to stay lower down.

7. Re: Sledging - April/May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2014