We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bernese Oberland in early May?

Charleston
4 posts
Save Topic
Bernese Oberland in early May?

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling to Lauterbrunnen in early May. we will be there on May 3 to May 6. Can anyone tell me how the weather will be around that time? We would love to hike around the bernese oberland area. Will it be possible to hike in May?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bernese Oberland in early May?

Things in the valley should be starting flourish. Spring flowers and all. However some of the higher elevations may not be open yet. Some of the higher trails may still be snow covered. I've been to the valley where the Mannlichen/KleineScheidegg trail wasn't able to open until after June 15th. Other years it was passable by the first of the month. For weather info I'd check the www.wengen.com site. It has daily weather reports, pictures, and a webcam.

Even if you stay in the valley and the upper villages of Wengen and Murren there should be plenty to see in the few days you have. More than enough to convince you that you have to come back.

Try the hotel Oberland.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bernese Oberland in early May?

With the amounts of snow that fell in the last weeks and before I am afraid only the lowest parts of the slopes will be free of snow by early May. Engelberg reports 3.5 m snow height on the Titlis, and over 1.5 m on the lower slopes. Won't be different in Wengen (about the smae height). You can look at the webcam:

http://www.twic.ch/wcam/image.jpg

Charleston
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bernese Oberland in early May?

Thank you for the information. Can you suggest any other activites that we can do around the area?