We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fluela Pass

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Fluela Pass

Would the Fluela Pass be typically open in May? Everything I see about it is that it is closed for "winter months". For some passes in Switzerland, this could extend to June 1.

Would prefer to drive it but I suppose the train is always an option if it came to that.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,280 Reviews
from $154.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,097 Reviews
from $260.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
391 Reviews
from $260.50*
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,748 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fluela Pass

Hi PoPTraveller

All the passroads open once there is nomore danger by avalanges. This includes Flüela. This year we got much more snow then normally. It is very possible that the higher passroads only will open in June this year.

Normally Julier passroad is open. It brings you from Chur to St. Moritz. You will need to inform yourself the day you want to drive it - see tcs.ch/main/…strassenzustand.html (only available in German, French and Italian). There is also an App for your mobile phone available.

Travelling by public transport is the way to travel in Switzerland. You can even go to places where cars are not alowed - see www.sbb.ch/en

pore

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fluela Pass

This depends when in May, usually they open around mid-May. If there is not much snow earlier. This year however with a lot of snow dont count on it. It's open only after it's cleared and they cant start working on that as long as there is still avalanche danger. It's closed just of the part over the pass into the Engadin and it's a scenic drive. If it is closed, you put the car on a train through the Vereina tunnel.

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fluela Pass

Thanks for the prompt responses. The link will be especially helpful for making our plans when we leave Innsbruck to travel through Switzerland.

Jerry

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fluela Pass

Coming from Innsbruck, it depends which is your next destination which pass you take. The Julier is the safest one and mostly open and it's shorter as you arrive on the larger roads earlier. If in doubt, I would rather drive the Julier instead of the tunnel / train (which be the way is not inexpensive) and then all the way down on small roads.

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fluela Pass

Thanks again for the additional information. My intended route, which can be very flexible as required, would be west through Fluela Pass, then southwest across the Oberalp Pass at Andermatt, and then north to Altdorf and on to Lucerne. As we get closer to the date of our travel, I will give consideration to the Julier Pass though I suspect it would take us a little further south than we had intended.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fluela Pass

But it would on the other had give you the additional benefit to see the Upper Engadin with it's mountains and the lake plateau, one of the most beautiful areas of Switzerland, see www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/multimedia/

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fluela Pass

That does look like a very attractive route. So I would drive SW from Innsbruck to St. Moritz, a little further, then west and north on the #3, Julier Pass to Chur, then west across the Oberalp Pass to Andermatt and then north to Altdorf.

Alternate if the Oberalp Pass is closed would be to continue north at Chur and then return SW via Schwyz to get to Altdorf and Lucerne.

Thank you for your continuing suggestions.

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fluela Pass

Hi! I was just wondering if it's possible to walk along the Fluela Pass, or is it too dangerous because of the narrow roads and too many cars? Is there a walking track going alongside it?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fluela Pass

There is a signposted hiking trail over Flüela pass. It's - apart for some small parts - not on the road, but mostly also not very far from it. I guess there would be some nicer options without traffic if you like to hike from Davos area to Engadine. For example from Klosters over Vereina pass.

Check this link for an interactive map indicating all official hiking trails:

map.wanderland.ch

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fluela Pass

MrUnique - please be so kind to post your question in a new tread instead of hijacking another (old) one - and give it an appropriate name as this might interest others as well. This way you would make sure that people find what they are looking for and we dont repeat ourselves over and over and you would get more attention.

To answer you question: This depends on when you want to do the hike. It's no problem in Summer as Oller pointed out, as you dont walk on the street. In early summer, the street may be your only option until the paths have been groomed.

But as Oller said, there are much more rewarding trails. Check out the Scaletta pass from Davos to S-chanf. This is one of the pass roads in ancient times freight haulers used to go and it's a well frequented hiker and mountainbiker trail now. It makes part of the multi-day trail Via Valtellina.