We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Lucerne

Yorkshire UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Lucerne

I'm visiting Lucerne for a few days next week. Any recommendations for good restaurants? Nothing too lively - quality prevails over noise for me!

As I'm on my own, will I stand out eating solo? In the UK that's definitely the case unless it's a hotel restaurant; in France it's quite common to see people eating on their own. What's the position in this part of Switzerland?

Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Lucerne

Hi Shepley,

Hate to only recommend hotel restaurants, but that's what I found in Luzern as realy good. I ate at the Rotes Gatter in the Hotel Des Balances and was just floored by their food. I was also amazed that they sat me, dining alone, at a prime table at the huge picture windows overlooking the river. The other diners looked to be young & hip locals --

I've also heard great things about the restaurant at the Hotel Wilden Mann, but I didn't get to it.

I also ate at the highly-recommended Swiss House, but it didn't strike me as very special -- good, basic Swiss food but in a very touristy atmosphere.

Have fun!

s

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Lucerne

One Yorkshireman to another,

go with the Des Balances, I still remember their marinaded fillet steak and wild mushrooms !

I'll think about yer.

Yorkshire UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Lucerne

Many thanks for this - I'll certainly give Des Balances a try.

4. Re: Restaurants in Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 21, 2009