We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in Lucerne

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Level Contributor
83 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights in Lucerne

I will be in Lucerne for 7 nights in May and looking for day trips / excursions from Lucerne. I plan on taking an 8 day Swiss Pass and will be travelling with my mom and daughter of 6. Here is a rough travel plan -

Day 1 - Arrive from Zurich airport to Lucerne or by TGV from Paris to Lucerne via Basel (a question - should I book TGV only from Paris to Basel since I will be taking a swiss pass?)

Day 2 - City tour of Lucerne and maybe a boat ride

Day 3 - Mt Titlis excursion

Day 4 - A day trip to Bern

Day 4 - Mt Pilatus excusion

Day 6 - Rhine Falls from Zurich

Day 7 - (Open to suggestions)

Day 8 - Onward to Paris or return back home.

Please let me know if all this is feasible using the swiss pass or should I add / remove something. If it possible to do a scenic train ride from lucerne?

Thanks!

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights in Lucerne

Hi hetapeta,

Your itinerary is fine.

On Day 7 you daughter would love a visit to the chocolate factory at Broc - about 2.30 hours from Luzern.

You may consider choosing the cheapest option - Swiss Saver Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass or the Half Fare Card - features of each are available on this site -

http://www.myswissalps.com/swisspass

But then you will have to do the maths - note down all fares for your given journeys from this site -

sbb.ch/en

total it and then compare with the various passes,to find the cheapest option.

The Swiss Pass gives you -

free travel upto Engelberg and then a 50% discount to Titlis

" " " " Alpnachstad and then a 50% discount to Pilatus

Have fun.

arvind

Mumbai
Level Contributor
83 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights in Lucerne

Thanks arvind13. I actually have only 7 days and not 8 so will probably drop one of the places to do broc visit. I actually wanted to do chocolate train but that will not be possible as the train departs from Montreux at 9 am and I am based out of lucerne. Not sure if there is an early morning train from Lucerne to Montreux. Will check though. Will also to the maths and see what works the best (including an option for a half card maybe?)

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights in Lucerne

PS If you are buying the HFC then you could use it from Basel to Luzern and on return,for a 50% discount. But if buying the Pass then this journey is not economical - use the Pass on some other day/s,buy tickets instead.

Most of your above train rides are through scenic countryside but if you want to ride on the renowned trains then -

The real Golden Pass ( with Classic or Panoramic coaches ) runs between Zweissimmen and Montreux. If you want to do this trip you will be spending 7 to 8 hours in trains. The others - Bernina or Glacier are also away from your axis,for day trips.

arvind

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,195 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights in Lucerne

Hi hetapeta

I think the best excursions from Lucerne are in the area. Look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (upper right side of your screen). If the weather fits there are a few mountain excursions you can do from Lucerne.

There are also a few attractions at Lucerne itself which you can find on the Top Questions.

Happy planning

pore

5. Re: 7 nights in Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 22, 2015