We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 full days, Titlis and Pilatus?

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 full days, Titlis and Pilatus?

My family of 4 (hubby, 2 teen daughters and I) will be staying in Lucerne June 11-June 15, then onto Zurich by train where we will fly home the next day. This gives us 3 full days/4 nights in Lucerne. We will stay somewhere either on or very near the water and old town. I've been doing lots of reading on TA to plan for our time. At this point after talking to the family we think we will leave a day to explore old town, shop, see the lion monument, fountains etc. and see what we can find! That leaves two days. We absolutely want to experience a trip up one of the mountains so are planning on going by boat from Lucerne and taking the "Golden Round Trip" up Mt. Pilatus. We would eat lunch and/or dinner while up the mountain (our youngest wants to try the cheesy pasta I've read about) and we also wanted to do the summer toboggan while on the mountain. Our remaining day in Lucerne, my 16 year old daughter is wanting to go up Mt. Titlis as well, she has always wanted to see a glacier. I told her we would do Pilatus and if the rest of us feel like another mountain trip we would go to Titlis as well. It would be fun to see our first glacier (cave) then walk the suspension bridge and up ice flyer to the summit. Does anyone know if the Glacier Park on Titlis is a good option? We are traveling light so are unable to pack snow clothes/boots for sledding. Can you rent them there in order to go sledding? If not, I don't think we would want to sled then be soaking wet on the way down! I'm trying to decide whether 2 trips up two different mountains would be the best use of our time or if I should plan another day exploring town or elsewhere! So little time and I want to make the best of it.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,534 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 full days, Titlis and Pilatus?

Hi Damasco1

The "cheesy pasta" called Aelplermaggronen is best on top of Stanserhorn - www.stanserhorn.ch - which is also a wonderful mountain.

The Ice flyer is a chairlift which runs over the glacier. It offers great views over the impressive glacier. You do not need any special equipment for the snow tubing on the glacier - http://www.titlis.ch/en/glacier/glacier-park -. The views from the served restaurant into the Alps are stoning. There is an ice cave and you can go into it.

Note, I would not recommend to do the Mt. Titlis excursion if the weather is not clear. Temperatures can be pretty low in June. You can watch the weather channel on the first Swiss TV program in the early morning.

The different mountains around Lucerne are all very different from each other. I think it would be a great experience to visit them.

Happy planning

2. Re: 3 full days, Titlis and Pilatus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 am, January 24, 2015