We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

As the subject states, we are currently eating local food and drinking red wine in the Panorama Restaurant.

It is the most spectacular day and the views are sensational - huge thanks to all for the advice over many months, especially Pore.

Deb

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Wow Deb, great to hear you are enjoying your time.

pore

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Pore it was spectacular, and we had the best day weather wise. My hubby and I were just awestruck with the scenery, it was so much more than we imagined. We both thank you so much for all the advice and tips over the last year of planning.

It doesn't look like the weather is going to be that great over the final two days we have in Lucerne, but I feel we were blessed with today bit was quite magical. We plan to spend tomorrow wandering Lucernes old town, probably with umbrellas to hand lol. On Friday we will do a lake cruise and go up Mt Rigi, rain hail or shine. We have purchased a Tell Pass so it is all free for our second day, so even if the views are not great, we have nothing to lose.

Thanks once again for all the help. Where would we travellers be without the a Destination a Experts.

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Rainy days? Wich weather forecast are you using? Right, e.g. Apple's preinstalled weather app shows only rainy days anywhere in Switzerland for the entire of the next 5 days :-(( However not so on the LOCAL (= more knowledgable) weather institutes such as the Swiss Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology, MeteoSwiss: http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/en.html (also available as app!)

Today, e.g., there is rain in the west, however in Luzern (and Chur and St. Gallen) the weather forcast for today is changeable: mostly cloudy, some rain showers. So there are chances for sunshine as there currently is, indeed. For tomorrow it looks even better: partly cloudy, chance of rain showers!

In my opinion, there is always a large advantage for local knowledge and experience vs. global(ized) oversimplyfication ! Especially regarding positive attitudes ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Alfred I was using Accuweather which is generally not too bad, but happy to see it was wrong today :).

Unfortunately have come down with a bad cold so we have been spending today ambling around Lucerne's Old Town and intending to do the cruise to Vitznau and cog wheel rail to Rigi tomorrow (Friday). Was hoping to fit in transport museum, but just not feeling up to it. Currently enjoying lazing in our hotel room with an amazing view of the mountains and the Kapelbrucke from our balcony while the rest of my party shop.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Sorry Deb, I hope you feel good very soon.

pore

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Thanks Pore. Would still rather be sick here than at home, particularly as it is 44 degrees back there and I hate hot weather.

Really looking forward to visiting Rigi tomorrow, that will make me feel better.

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Hi Deb, I hope you feel better today and that the Rigi journey was nice!

> I was using Accuweather which is generally not too bad

Well, the explanation actually is quite easy: Just reading one "globalised" (synonym for bad quality?) weather information source does not give you any hint how accurate they are as long as you do not make distinct and cumbersome comparison by yourself. - A pattern (globalised --> bad quality) I learn to abhorrently accept not only for weather information, but almost in any case of "globalised products".

You have to know that global weather information companies often produce weather forecasts "all over the world" (what an euphemism!) which is based only on the global weather situation - if at all. Otherwise they would have to purchase locally produced information at local meteorological institutions - but they do not, too expensive to collect the world-wide information at that numerous companies - and the customer does anyhow NOT recognize it! :-o

Additionally, these world weather reporters do not have available the local climatological knowledge to provide such precise information as e.g. MeteoSwiss does - for free to private customers. Not surprisingly, since climate/weather situation especially in Switzerland can differ from valley to valley, from altitude to altitude ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

Hi Alfred

Thanks for the info re weather forecasts - very interesting. I wish I could say I was feeling better, but you know how it is with colds, you just feel terrible! Still, will keep soldiering on and enjoying your spectacular country.

We did do the cruise and cog wheel train to Rigi today. The cruise was amazing, I have never seen such beautiful scenery and it made me feel much better :). By the time we got to the top though the cloud had set in, and unfortunately we had no view from the peak. My husband, son and nephew still had a ball though. Unlike me, who grew up in England, they have only seen snow on this trip and once years ago back in Australia They were absolutely thrilled that it was actively snowing the whole time we were up there.

We did the cruise back again, as it was so much nicer than catching a train from Arth Goldau - we have ridden lots of trains on this trip!

Unfortunately we have to leave tomorrow for the weekend in Zurich and then home to an extremely hot Melbourne. We have loved every minute and I will do a trip report once settled in back home.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice and particularly Pore - your help made this trip a joy.

Deb

9. Re: Currently At The Top Of Mt Titlis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 19, 2015