We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mountains around lucerne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
mountains around lucerne

Hi everyone,

We will be staying in Lucerne, and skiing at Mt Titlis (thanks to everyone's help). What is the easiest way to reach the ski slopes of Titlis, so that we can ski for the day? Or would you recommend skiing somewhere else in Engelberg?

Secondly, we want to do a day trip to either Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi. We would like to spend the day there, see the scenery, have lunch and do some sledging. Which would you suggest? And how would you suggest we get there?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,704 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mountains around lucerne

Hi Monique I

You need to take the train to Engelberg from Lucerne to go up to Mt. Titlis. I think the Titlis slopes are the most known ones.

Pilatus and Rigi are both great and Fraeckmuendegg on your way to Mt. Pilatus is very known for sledging. My personal preference is Mt. Rigi because of the great views. It is up to you what you would prefer.

Links

www.pilatus.ch

www.rigi.ch

www.titlis.ch

www.engelberg.ch

www.sbb.ch/en (for all public transport information)

www.lakelucerne.ch for boat timetables etc.

Have fun

pore

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mountains around lucerne

Engelberg is ALSO a winter-sports resort - for "alpine" (downhill) as well as for "nordic" (cross-country) skiing. Engelberg is at 1'000m altitude (enough snow now usually for January to March), whereas Titlis (in fact Kleintitlis) is the highest part of that skiing area, up to 3'000m (so snow all year round).

Have a look at Engelberg website "slope-report" engelberg.ch/en/transportation-activities/

But I admit: have only skied Kleintitlis area - and that was a while ago .......

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mountains around lucerne

Thank you! Sorry I'm a little confused, is mt titlis in engelberg? Or are they different mountains? It's so confusing!! From what I understand, my titlis is in engelberg so you take the train to engelberg and then cable car up to titlis?

With mt pilatus, would you suggest it is easier to do a day trip there with a tour? I am happy to do a tour, but can you suggest a tour that allows you enough free time on the summit (so that we can go sledging)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mountains around lucerne

Hi Monique

I am sure some of the experts will get online later and help you, but seeing as I am in Melbourne too I thought I would answer. We are going to Lucerne in four weeks time and also plan on going up Mt Titlis, although not to ski, purely to sightsee. We are also hoping to go to Rigi or Pilatus on a different day, weather permitting.

After reading these forums for months, it seems it will be very easy to do the trip to Pilatus (or any of the mountains) on your own, without paying for a tour. This means you can allow as much time as you want for whatever activities interest you.

If you look at the top right of the page you will see links, one of them refers to Mountain Excursions from Lucerne, so that it worth looking at.

We have decided to purchase a Winter Tell Pass, it is 111 CHF each for a seven day pass. You can choose two days where all travel is free and the other five are half price. We will obviously use our two free days for Titlis and Pilatus/Rigi/Lake Cruise or whatever. The pass gives you free travel to Engelberg and discounted travel on the cable cars etc up to the top. Apparently this is 33 CHF return with the pass. Pilatus, Rigi and lake cruises are totally free if done on one the two free days.

Hope this helps you with your planning. When are you going?

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mountains around lucerne

Titlis is a mountain south of Engelberg. Please have a look at engelberg.ch/en/transportation-activities/ or better at …intermaps.com/engelberg/skimap_touch.asp…

You can reach Engelberg by car or public transport. From Engelberg (1050m), cable-car up to Trübsee (1'800m) for either a chairlift to Jochpass for Jochstock and Engstlenalp - or cable-car to Stand (2'500m) or chairlift for a second skiing area - and from Stand a last cable-car to Kleintitlis ("little Titlis" at 3'028m) for that skiing area.

In late spring and summer, only that top Kleintitlis skiing area is open (no snow below). But in winter with enough snow the area from Kleintitlis down to Engelberg is interconnected for skiing.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,704 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mountains around lucerne

Hi Monique I

I think got already the answers on your questions. Yes, you join Mt. Titlis from Engelberg.

Do not spend the money for a tour to Mt. Pilatus. It is dead easy to do it on your own. From Lucerne you take the bus to Kriens and from there the gondolas and the cable car to Mt. Pilatus. The cable car ends at Pilatus-Kulm and there is a walking path to the summit. The cogwheeltrain will not be operating until May/June 2014 for safety reasons (avalanges).

If you would prefer to go with a cogwheel train, you can visit Mt. Rigi with the even greater views in my opinion. By the way there is a thermal bath at Rigi-Kaltbad on your way down to Vitznau.

Yes, look at the Top Questions about Lucerne for more information.

Have fun

pore

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mountains around lucerne

thank you for all these responses, so helpful!

djh1, i will be in Switzerland from december 20 to december 26 :)

one last question: can one do sledding at mt rigi?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: mountains around lucerne

and is mt titles suitable for intermediate skiers who have only skied in australia? if not, could you please recommend another slope in engeleberg more suitable.

cheers

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,704 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mountains around lucerne

Hi Monique I

Skiing

For beginners Mt. Rigi may be easier - see www.rigi.ch/Adventures/Sport/Skiing -.

tobogganing

See the following links for tobogganing in the greater Lucerne area

- myswitzerland.com/en-ch/mount-rigi-a-great-p…

- myswitzerland.com/en-ch/tobogganing/toboggan…

- myswitzerland.com/en-ch/tobogganing/easy-tob… (Engelberg)

- myswitzerland.com/en-ch/tobogganing/a-tobogg…

- melchsee-frutt.ch/en/…family-tobogganing

etc. etc.

Have fun

pore

10. Re: mountains around lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:11 pm, January 01, 2014