We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

Connecticut
Level Contributor
155 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

I am afraid of heights but I really want to take my kids 11 and 14 to one of the mountains. Rigi seems doable for me with the cog trains at 21% incline. But Pilatus has the alpine slides and tubing which would be a lot of fun for the kids. Do you think the cog train up Pilatus at 48% incline would be too scary for me and is there a way to get from the train to those activities and down the mountain without taking a chair lift or cable car? Thank you!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

Hi 1330ag

When are you going to travel? There is a lot of information which would depend on the season.

Mt. Rigi is very easy and doable for you I think. It offers wonderful views to he Alps and over nearly half of our country.

At Mt. Pilatus the cogwheel train is not operating the whole year round. On the other side of the mountain there is a cable car and there are gondolas you would need to use.

There are other great excursions you can do in the area, depending on where you will be look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (right side of your screen), the Top Questions about Zug (TA Zug forum) and the Top Questions about Brunnen (TA Brunnen forum).

Happy planning

pore

Mentioned in this post
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,892 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus
4,846 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Zug
Zug
Canton of Zug, Switzerland
Connecticut
Level Contributor
155 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

Hi - We are going in August. I would be fine sticking to RIgi as it sounds beautiful and more comfortable for me but I love Alpine slides and Tubing and think the kids would really enjoy it and I believe that is only offered at Pilatus. If I were to take the cog train on Pilatus can you easily get to the tubing and alpine slide area and when we were done could we get down the mountain on the cog train? Thank you!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

Hi 1330ag

What you are thinking of is at Fraeckmuendegg. To go there you take the gondolas from Kriens. Of course you can go there from the other side but then you would need to take the cable car down to Fraeckmuendegg. You can find more information on www.pilatus.ch

Your kids would for sure like the traffic museum - www.verkehrshaus.ch -. You would need at least three hours for that but you could easily spend a full day there. There is also a 3-D cinema and a planetarium.

pore

Mentioned in this post
Kriens
Kriens
Lucerne, Switzerland
Connecticut
Level Contributor
155 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

So it doesn't seem like there is any way for me to get to Fraeckmuendegg or get back from there by cog train and not the gondolas. Oh well! Mt Rigi it is. Can I feel comfortable that I can handle the Cog Trains on this mountain? Not too scary? Are there any other activities up there other that the beauty, hiking etc?

Thank you-

Mentioned in this post
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,892 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

Hi 1330ag

Sorry it is impossible to me if it would be scary but I do not think so. These trains are very safe. Maybe it would be helpful not to sit directly on the window and to look forward then to the side.

Have fun and good luck

pore

6. Re: Pilatus or Rigi - fear of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 08, 2014