We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rigi or Pilatus with babies?

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wroclaw, Poland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rigi or Pilatus with babies?

We are planning a trip to Lucerne next September (2014) and will have 3 small children (aged 3, 2, and 10 months). Is it possible to visit the mountains with 3 small kids? I read on the Mt. RIgi website - Children (6-16 years) accompanied by at least one adult can travel on Mt. Rigi Railways for free in July and August. But what about younger children? Does anyone know of any other day trips in the area where our family can go and see great views and be in the mountains... and maybe pet some cows? We will have a car. Thanks!

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rigi or Pilatus with babies?

Mt Rigi would be fine for your purpose. Your kids will travel free, and should enjoy the amenities at Rigi Kaltbad. I don't think you can take your car up the mountain, which means you probably have to back track to return to your car. If your kids are older they may like to see Morschach nearby.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rigi or Pilatus with babies?

Hi bacon_poland

You can find many tips about excursions from Lucerne on the Top Questions about Lucerne (right side of your screen). I agree with bofroster, Mt. Rigi would be a great choice. Take the train from Lucerne to Arth-Goldau, the cogwheel train up to Rigi-Kulm and the other side down to Vitznau and from there the boat back to Lucerne. There are roundtrip tickets available and the Swiss Pass would fully cover the whole roundtrip.

Please keep your kids under control, in the mountains there are always places which can be dangerous for small kids.

Have a great time

pore

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rigi or Pilatus with babies?

Have a look at the website for ballenberg museum http://ballenberg.ch/en/. They have over 250 different types of animal - but I'm not sure how hands on they all are. Certainly the website shows many animals that the children can touch.

it's an absolutely brilliant place, it's got traditional houses taken from all over Switzerland together with the contents, bedlinen etc inside and outside are traditional gardens and animals.

Edited: 12:03 pm, November 08, 2013
4. Re: Rigi or Pilatus with babies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 10, 2014